• 22"

Votes: 3 4.9%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...

So when I got my Mo a year ago, I immediately swapped out the tires and rims. Went with 22" rims mostly cause I thought they would look great on the Mo (and I think they do, especially since the stock setup just looks inadequate to me) and partly because I wanted something with a much wider stance than the stock rims.

Have over the year seen several discussions over in the Tires & Rims forum about others replacing their rims as well. But seems lately the preference is for 20" rims.

Out of curiousity I thought I'd throw out a poll to see how many of you have actually changed your rims, and if so, what size rims you installed.

Cheers,
-James

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well I swapped mine out, but for the oem chrome rims so I voted stock. They look great to me!!!!:cool:

·
Registered
41 Posts
What are the specifics on your rims, James? I am looking at 22's for mine, and I'm wondering if a 22x9 with a 20mm offset will work. I see some places that 20mm offset is too small. What do you have on yours? What tire size?

Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I originally posted some pics and info in a thread over in the Tires & Wheel forum last July.

Anyway, the wheels are Zinik Z9's (22x9.5, 35mm offset) and the tires are Nitto 555's (285/35/22).

I don't think the 20mm offset rims will work so well. I think they will technically fit, but might push the tire further out of the wheel well than will look good. But this is subjective.

In essence you'd be putting on a slightly wider than stock tire and also moving the tire away from the car. The overall effect may or may not look that good.

If I do the math right, my wheels put an extra ~13mm on each side of the rim relative to center. This actually lets the tire edge line up well with the edge of the wheel well (See pics in first thread linked above). In your case you would be pushing the edge out about ~22mm (15mm offset loss + 7mm extra tire width). So your wheels will stick out ~9mm past the wheel well and this doesn't include any extra protrusion from the tire itself which is likely to be a bit wider than the rim.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK... actually it occurs to me that my math was a little wrong... actually not the math, but the direction of the offset... often get it backwards and unfortunately did in this case.

So the math for my rims is correct... and simpler because the offset matches the stock rims. So the extra wheel width is split evenly on the inside and outside (street side) of the wheel. So my wheels do show to the street side ~13mm more than the stock rims, but there is also an extra ~13mm toward the inside of the wheel well. This hasn't been a problem since there is reasonable space but I don't know that I'd want to go any wider.

And the math is correct for your rims as well, you have basically an extra ~22mm on one side of your rim vs the stock rims. Where I was wrong is that this extra is on the inside edge not the street side. So compared to my setup you have yet another ~9mm sticking toward the wheel well. I think you'd run a reasonable risk of rubbing in this case, but can't say for certain.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Actually you were right the first time. Less offset makes it stick out more. Less backspacing makes it stick in more.

My calculation indicates that the wheels will stick out of the wheel wells an additional 40.4 mm than the stock wheels, about 1.5", and will stick in toward the car an additional 10.4 mm, about 0.5". Since the tire tread is only an additional 30 mm wider than the stock tire, I imagine the actual amount it sticks out is considerably less than the calculations, probably on the order of about 20 mm or 0.7", using a 1:4 ratio of stick-in vs. stick-out.

Does anyone see my logic or have a different view?

·
Registered
132 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dufunnel... you're right... I was initially right, and then wrong. :crazyeye:

All said, I think you'll stick out a bit past the edge of the well, but we're only talking 3/8" or so... so its not likely to be so bad. I do tho think the tire itself might increase this slightly because while the tread might not be much wider than stock, the sidewalls will be at least as wide as the rim if not a smidge wider.

Either way, the protrusion will really be personal taste. Mine line up so well that I don't think I'd like it if they stuck out further. But again since we're not talking a huge protrusion (I've seen some really bad setups on other cars sticking out whole inches) I think the rims you're intending should work fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts