Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Confused! What tires can I substitute for my 235/55/R20 tires? I have a 2009 Murano LE. Hoping to find something reasonable in cost. May only keep this car for another year, as I am beginning to have transmission problems. How important is the "aspect ratio" for my car? I have 180K miles.

·
Administrator
9,763 Posts
Aspect ratio is always important. If you throw it off, your speedometer and odometers will both be inaccurate. And nothing affects the handling of your vehicle more quickly than tires.

Is there a problem with keeping that size? There are plenty of options at Tire Rack, but I do see that they start about $185 each. What would you change to?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some forum members mentioned changing to: 255/50/20. However is that OK for the 2009 Murano? Does it matter that my edition is the LE? Want to be safe but since my transmission is beginning to fail, I may only keep the car for another year, and thus do not want to spend much. Was even considering used tires but the 235/55/20 is impossible to find used in Seattle.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
How low is it now? If you plan to only use it for a year more, just keep driving it with the same tires. Why bother, unless its totally bald and you live in snow country. There are shops that sells used tires locally found.

·
Super Moderator
1,614 Posts
How low is it now? If you plan to only use it for a year more, just keep driving it with the same tires. Why bother, unless its totally bald and you live in snow country. There are shops that sells used tires locally found.
He hasn't stated if he has FWD or AWD. Used tires are alright on a FWD, but a very bad idea on AWD, unless you can find a matched set of 4 used tires worn evenly.

Have a good day.

Reactions: MO can do

·
Registered
2017 Nissan Murano Platinum
7 Posts
Confused! What tires can I substitute for my 235/55/R20 tires? I have a 2009 Murano LE. Hoping to find something reasonable in cost. May only keep this car for another year, as I am beginning to have transmission problems. How important is the "aspect ratio" for my car? I have 180K miles.
I have 2017 Murano - 235/55/20 - came New with Bridgestone Duellers. Now have 40,000 miles so also considering new tires.
Research Tire Rack, free delivery!
I liked the Goodyear Assurance - Warranty 85, 000 miles. Also Uniroyal Tiger Paw withWarranty 75,000 miles - good luck
Also many install but get alignment !

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He hasn't stated if he has FWD or AWD. Used tires are alright on a FWD, but a very bad idea on AWD, unless you can find a matched set of 4 used tires worn evenly.

Have a good day.
I have AWD. They say my tire tread is a "2" of whats left. I am in rain country in Seattle. Thus far, driving until bald. But worry about stopping in the rain. On another note, my quote for a NEW transmission is approx $4000. Should I spend that on a 2009 Murano LE with 180,000 miles?

·
Administrator
9,763 Posts
In rain country like Seattle, tread depth is at least as important as it is for snow. Hit a puddle at road speed and you can hydroplane into a wall. If you're at 2MM you're borderline legal and set up to lose control via hydroplaning. If you're selling in a year, go to Discount Tire online and buy the least expensive tire you can find in your size.

Reactions: PaulDay

·
Registered
112 Posts
Aspect ratio is always important. If you throw it off, your speedometer and odometers will both be inaccurate. And nothing affects the handling of your vehicle more quickly than tires.

Is there a problem with keeping that size? There are plenty of options at Tire Rack, but I do see that they start about $185 each. What would you change to?
Hello, sorry for bumping an old thread. but your comment caught my eyes
Could be this why my speedo is around 6 miles / 10km off? For example GPS shows 100 while speedo shows 110.
My sizes are 235/65/18
Could you please suggest a good size tire without need to change rims? Id want smoother drive and better acceleration
Thx.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Could be this why my speedo is around 6 miles / 10km off? For example GPS shows 100 while speedo shows 110.
My sizes are 235/65/18
According to the 2007 owners manual, your car has the correct tires so not likely. Driving with severely under-inflated tires can affect the speedometer reading though.

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Magenta

Reactions: sistermoon2500

·
Registered
112 Posts
According to the 2007 owners manual, your car has the correct tires so not likely. Driving with severely under-inflated tires can affect the speedometer reading though.

View attachment 55491
so does the car think regarding its own speedometer? i mean is speedo meter and car cpu the same?
Also i know you dotn want to answer this but. What happens if i go from 235 to 255? if i can keep the 65 and 18
thx

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
so does the car think regarding its own speedometer? i mean is speedo meter and car cpu the same?
No. See the diagram below for a visual explanation of how the signal from the wheel speed sensors gets sent to the speedometer. The rate of rotation of the wheels/tires are used to calculate the vehicle speed based on the assumption that they are a specific circumference. Changing that circumference (e.g. improper tire size or underinflated tires) will affect that calculation.

What happens if i go from 235 to 255? if i can keep the 65 and 18
I suggest you read some articles on the Internet like this one that explain what all the numbers/letters on the side of your tires mean. Then, you'll understand why the "65" will need to change (decrease) if you go with 255mm wide tires. Also, when you go to get new tires tell the technician you want to go wider and he/she will give you options (...many online tire vendors have calculators for this--go search for them).

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Slope

·
Administrator
9,763 Posts
Tire Rack online has data on tires including the diameter of each size of tire and the number of revolutions per mile.

Example of concept being discussed: I found that the speedometers on my 2008 and my wife's 2009 BMW 3-series cars both read 3 MPH higher than actual speed starting at about 30 MPH and the error stays at 3 MPH as speed increases. I suspect those crafty Deutschland engineers built that into the ECU to avoid having the speedometer read slower than actual speed.

However, by coincidence I bought a set of snow tires for mine that are one size larger in profile then the OEM size (225-50-17 rather than 225-45-17) and the difference in sidewall profile precisely countered the error. Those tires run slightly more revolutions per mile than the OEM size due to the taller sidewall, and when I mount those snow tires, the speedometer is quite accurate.

So it is possible to make some corrections to speedo error with slight tire size changes, BUT it gets darn expensive to buy a set of tires every time you want to try a different number of revolutions per mile. Do careful calculations before trying it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Tire Rack online has data on tires including the diameter of each size of tire and the number of revolutions per mile.

Example of concept being discussed: I found that the speedometers on my 2008 and my wife's 2009 BMW 3-series cars both read 3 MPH higher than actual speed starting at about 30 MPH and the error stays at 3 MPH as speed increases. I suspect those crafty Deutschland engineers built that into the ECU to avoid having the speedometer read slower than actual speed.

However, by coincidence I bought a set of snow tires for mine that are one size larger in profile then the OEM size (225-50-17 rather than 225-45-17) and the difference in sidewall profile precisely countered the error. Those tires run slightly more revolutions per mile than the OEM size due to the taller sidewall, and when I mount those snow tires, the speedometer is quite accurate.

So it is possible to make some corrections to speedo error with slight tire size changes, BUT it gets darn expensive to buy a set of tires every time you want to try a different number of revolutions per mile. Do careful calculations before trying it.
Thanks for both your replies...
I know the basic info about sizes. I just dont know why when we go one size wider, we gotta go one size lower in sidewall, doesnt make sense to me.
Also according to @I need coffee . He says speedo being 7 miles down from real speed is due to deflated tires? could lets say one tyre being 22psi cause speedo being off about 10km/7 miles? while tire size is OEM.
If not then what else should i be looking for?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I know the basic info about sizes. I just dont know why when we go one size wider, we gotta go one size lower in sidewall, doesnt make sense to me.
From the article I linked before... play around with the math of changing the tire width and keeping the aspect ratio the same and it should be clear why.

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Synthetic rubber

He says speedo being 7 miles down from real speed is due to deflated tires? could lets say one tyre being 22psi cause speedo being off about 10km/7 miles? while tire size is OEM.
I doubt one tire being in the low 20s would affect the speedometer reading like that (...AWD system wouldn't like it), but you indicated in another thread that you prefer 20 psi (...presumably all tires). That level of underinflation would have an effect although not sure how much. Perhaps combination of underinflation and precision variance with your GPS?

·
Administrator
9,763 Posts
I think 7 MPH is a lot of difference to attribute to tire pressures, but I won't say "never." Keep in mind that when your tires are low, they will spread out slightly, decreasing the diameter of the tire.

Easy to check! Download the app Ulysee Speedometer and run it while driving. It uses GPS to show your actual speed. Change tire pressures and see if there's a difference between your speedometer and the GPS calculated speed.

·
Registered
112 Posts
From the article I linked before... play around with the math of changing the tire width and keeping the aspect ratio the same and it should be clear why.

View attachment 55494
Gotcha... soo 65 is not a stand alone measurment. it depends on width of tire. so a 60 on a 245 is just as tall as a 65 on 235, i knew this just forgot it lol
and @Pilgrim i think cvtz50 app also shows the same as what GPS shows? on a navigation app im sure its 7 miles. i will get that app. and try it again (all my tyres are at 32 now ) if its still non accurate, whats teh next step you reckon ?
Edit : Yulsse is for androind only.

·
Administrator
9,763 Posts
Can't say about the cvtz50 - never used it. I'm sure there are other IOS apps that do the same.

I'm an Android and PC guy. My iPad drives me nuts......

1 - 19 of 19 Posts