Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, I have, step by step, been getting my 07 Murano back roadworthy. Last week, we took my wife's Lexus to get some warranty-covered work done. While there, I asked for an estimate for all the suspension work I was advised to get done on the Murano. Their total estimate was around $2500馃槼 I'm a dialysis patient on disability and can't afford a $2500 hit. So I'm asking you guys, what order should I get the repairs done? The recommended repairs were:
*Lower control arms
*Drivers side axle
*Struts (and alignment afterwards)
*Sway link bars
Are there any repairs that you think an average driveway mechanic could do with help from his son?
Thanks in advance for your advice and help!

Registered
If I was replacing all those myself, parts would cost me about $600 for all. Aftermarket. It can be replaced by any indy shop or even those mobile mechanics for less- not the dealer. You can buy your own parts then have it installed. You can replaced all of it in one shot too. So you only have to go to the alignment shop once-hopefully.

LCA- rear bushing is the one that usually leaks(if oem) and goes bad. You can get a pair for around $100 or so.-all rubber
Left axle- boot rip- grease sprayed all over. Autozone duralast is good enough. $130
Struts - leaking/bouncing too much-you can change only the struts and reuse the springs- cheaper (I prefer this way. Oem spring is usually better than any new aftermarket ones) - kyb-$300/pair
Sway bar- boot rip. Seldomly replaced. $20-30/pair.
Quart of Nissan ns-2 cvt fluid.$20 - needed when replacing driver side axle. for topping up.

You need to inspect the condition of all before assessing which should be replaced first. If all are bad, then change all in one shot. Good luck.

Registered
Hello All, I have, step by step, been getting my 07 Murano back roadworthy. Last week, we took my wife's Lexus to get some warranty-covered work done. While there, I asked for an estimate for all the suspension work I was advised to get done on the Murano. Their total estimate was around $2500馃槼 I'm a dialysis patient on disability and can't afford a $2500 hit. So I'm asking you guys, what order should I get the repairs done? The recommended repairs were:
*Lower control arms
*Drivers side axle
*Struts (and alignment afterwards)
*Sway link bars
Are there any repairs that you think an average driveway mechanic could do with help from his son?
Thanks in advance for your advice and help!
How many miles does your Murano have on it?

I wouldn't put that kind of money into a 2006 Murano, especially if it has high mileage, and an unknown or poor maintenance history... 1st gen Muranos do not age well, they are just about guaranteed to be a money pit...

Reactions: Kafka45

Registered
All car shops do that, pad the bill. I would take a wild guess that your car needs none of that work. Does the suspension make noise going over bumps? Does it wear out the tires? Does it feel funny while driving it? Does the car pull to either side? Does the steering feel loose?
I have a step son that had a mercedes, went to get the AC serviced and in their multi point check they said it needed over $4000. of work and replacement of parts. And even said the wrong side needed front wheel bearings. I knew they were full of it, because I changed the bearings on that side. And yes the opposite side did need them. And then a month later the alternator goes out, I am guessing because the wires on one side of the battery were very loose. How did they miss that in the check? Or did they do that? The list of checks had battery on it?? It ran for a few years after that check with no problems, till it was totaled in a fender bender. And yes all those are not difficult repairs you and your son could do, except an alignment of course.

Administrator
Most of those repairs can be done by a good shade tree mechanic. Your mistake is asking for a quote at a dealership, which is absolutely the most expensive place to have work done.

A good indy shop can do this stuff for at least a third less, and maybe half. I strongly recommend you have a good local shop (1) confirm the need for these parts, and (2) give you a quote.

Also, you can space these out over a few months. Nothing on that list is "OHMYGAWD I have to fix this or the car falls to pieces!!!"

The struts are an afternoon's work for a guy working in his driveway. I take the struts to a nearby tire shop with the new parts and pay them to compress the springs and change the parts.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I was replacing all those myself, parts would cost me about $600 for all. Aftermarket. It can be replaced by any indy shop or even those mobile mechanics for less- not the dealer. You can buy your own parts then have it installed. You can replaced all of it in one shot too. So you only have to go to the alignment shop once-hopefully.

LCA- rear bushing is the one that usually leaks(if oem) and goes bad. You can get a pair for around $100 or so.-all rubber
Left axle- boot rip- grease sprayed all over. Autozone duralast is good enough. $130
Struts - leaking/bouncing too much-you can change only the struts and reuse the springs- cheaper (I prefer this way. Oem spring is usually better than any new aftermarket ones) - kyb-$300/pair
Sway bar- boot rip. Seldomly replaced. $20-30/pair.
Quart of Nissan ns-2 cvt fluid.$20 - needed when replacing driver side axle. for topping up.

You need to inspect the condition of all before assessing which should be replaced first. If all are bad, then change all in one shot. Good luck.
Thanks!!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most of those repairs can be done by a good shade tree mechanic. Your mistake is asking for a quote at a dealership, which is absolutely the most expensive place to have work done.

A good indy shop can do this stuff for at least a third less, and maybe half. I strongly recommend you have a good local shop (1) confirm the need for these parts, and (2) give you a quote.

Also, you can space these out over a few months. Nothing on that list is "OHMYGAWD I have to fix this or the car falls to pieces!!!"

The struts are an afternoon's work for a guy working in his driveway. I take the struts to a nearby tire shop with the new parts and pay them to compress the springs and change the parts.
Thanks Pilgrim! I really appreciate it!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All car shops do that, pad the bill. I would take a wild guess that your car needs none of that work. Does the suspension make noise going over bumps? Does it wear out the tires? Does it feel funny while driving it? Does the car pull to either side? Does the steering feel loose?
I have a step son that had a mercedes, went to get the AC serviced and in their multi point check they said it needed over $4000. of work and replacement of parts. And even said the wrong side needed front wheel bearings. I knew they were full of it, because I changed the bearings on that side. And yes the opposite side did need them. And then a month later the alternator goes out, I am guessing because the wires on one side of the battery were very loose. How did they miss that in the check? Or did they do that? The list of checks had battery on it?? It ran for a few years after that check with no problems, till it was totaled in a fender bender. And yes all those are not difficult repairs you and your son could do, except an alignment of course.
Definitely hearing a low rumble while driving. Going over the smallest bump in the road I hear like a dull rattle. Going over larger bumps it sounds like the front end is gonna bottom out. Same bump or minor pothole in wife's SUV and I barely notice. Thanks for the advice!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How many miles does your Murano have on it?

I wouldn't put that kind of money into a 2006 Murano, especially if it has high mileage, and an unknown or poor maintenance history... 1st gen Muranos do not age well, they are just about guaranteed to be a money pit...
I have exactly 141006 on it. I've heard the same about 1st GEN Muranos but I don't have any options right now. Thanks!

Registered
I would inspect the front and rear subframes for corrosion. Some 1st gens experience sever subframe corrosion, my '03 was one of them...

Also, I highly recommend getting the Android app CVTz50. It can scan for CVT error codes. It only costs ~$5, well worth it. I would check before putting more money into repairs so that you're confident there's no obvious ticking timebomb with the CVT that costs ~$5k to replace...

Registered
Rumble could be a wheel bearing noise or CV joint or even transfer case or rear end, transmission differential bearings etc. If you hear things going over bumps then yes you could have something worn in the suspension, front or rear. You need to jack it up and not have the suspension supporting any weight and then try to wiggle parts around by hand and also something that will not bend or mark the parts like a 2 or 3 foot 2x2, if you know where to pry and to pry, then a pry bar can be used, just don't get too force full as your just checking for looseness, your hands are best to use, with the steering wheel locked you would try moving the tires(wheels) in a tipping (camber) and steering condition looking for looseness. Then checking for and aft movement of the lower control arm.Look at the rubber bushings for any pivot point that has them. Do the same in the rear as well. Is yours an all wheel drive?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.