Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm at 18000 miles, roughly 5-6 32" left of tread, and a pothole takes a bite out of one (stock Goodyear 236/65 18") tire.

What to do?

1 new stock tire? 2 new stock tires? 2 new better tires, same size? Or could I go with, say, 2 new better tires at 255/60? (and then upgrade the other 2 later?)

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Oskar

·
Registered
746 Posts
Hmm, tough answer... I think that I would personally go with the full-size spare tire upgrade. Then use the damaged tire as a spare if possible (not knowing how much damage it took).

Because reinstalling Goodyears would definitely be my last option...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I called TireRack, since my local dealer's representative didn't inspire too much trust ("what do you mean 3/16 tread left? I don't know any other measurements than 1/32s" - groan).

The more confident-sounding TireRack representative offered this: With the AWD system on the Murano, if there is too much difference in tread between 2 axles (as could happen when putting 2 new tires on) the AWD system could detect that as slippage and kick in, virtually all the time. He suggested that going with 255/60s on only 2 wheels with AWD would definitely be a no-no (though 4 255/60s would be perfectly OK). I'd prefaced my question with a disclaimer that I wouldn't be buying from him, so I don't think he was trying to upsell me.

Comments welcome.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Do you have AWD?

At min. I would get 2 new tires and match them up i.e. 2 new on the rear.

·
4,664 Posts
Which reminds me of a very good video from www.michelin.com

Where do I install new tires if I only buy two?
If you're replacing only two tires, be sure to have them installed on your vehicle's rear axle. New tires will provide better grip than your half-worn tires and when they are installed on the rear that helps reduce the potential for your vehicle to fishtail or hydroplane in wet conditions.

Check it out at http://www.michelinman.com/care/tip6.html#5

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
jaak said:
Where do I install new tires if I only buy two?
If you're replacing only two tires, be sure to have them installed on your vehicle's rear axle. New tires will provide better grip than your half-worn tires and when they are installed on the rear that helps reduce the potential for your vehicle to fishtail or hydroplane in wet conditions.
Isn't that true only for RWD cars which run the risk of fishtailing because power goes to their rear wheels? On FWD cars such as Murano (AWD Murano is also FWD most of the time) shouldn't the good tires go in the front?

·
Registered
834 Posts
New tires always on the rear FWD or RWD.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
zebelkhan said:

Isn't that true only for RWD cars which run the risk of fishtailing because power goes to their rear wheels? On FWD cars such as Murano (AWD Murano is also FWD most of the time) shouldn't the good tires go in the front?
I used to think this, but the proof is pretty evident from all the tire manufacturer's advice. If buying two new tires, they should always go in the back.

A couple months ago one of the major car mags did this very test with Michelin and the difference was obvious. The British car mag 4car also tested this and it was kind of fun watching the little economy car spin out when it had the tires installed on the front.

·
Registered
719 Posts
austegard said:
So I'm at 18000 miles, roughly 5-6 32" left of tread, and a pothole takes a bite out of one (stock Goodyear 236/65 18") tire.

What to do?

1 new stock tire? 2 new stock tires? 2 new better tires, same size? Or could I go with, say, 2 new better tires at 255/60? (and then upgrade the other 2 later?)

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Oskar
Personally, I'd buy all new tires and save the remaining 3 GoodYears for use as full size spares.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Jaak & Eric L.:

I continue to be amazed at what I learn from these forums. I have always thought that the new tires should go on the driving wheels for best traction, although for RWD I wondered about that logic relative to placing them on the front for best steering.

However consider a set of used tires with reasonable tread all round, would you follow the same logic - ie best tread on rear -especially in snow country.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Yes, best tread on rear, especially in snow country!

·
4,664 Posts
I think what makes the difference here, is the front wheels, when braking, or turning into a corner, have more of the vehicle's weight on them, pushing them into the road and providing them with better traction. The rear wheels end up loaded less.

A new tire is going to provide better traction. Where do you want that? On the wheels that are struggling to stay in place...

In the rain it's even worse, as the water will clear better from the new tires. So if the front wheels have more forces applied on them, and are clearing the water better, the rear wheels don't have a chance of keeping up, especially with a lot of lateral forces on them.

At least that's my understanding of what's happening.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts