Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately when I bought my MO %&%ing dealer drilled the bumper and installed the license plate holder. I took the entire assembly off and have been driving without the front plate.

My question to you guys, what should I do with the holes in the bumper? Does anybody have a suggestion other than trying to take it to the bodyshop to have it done?

Any creative solutions would be appreciated.

(I know that older Civics had special plugs available for the holes in the bumper, but from what I know Nissan doesn't offer anything like that)

P.S. Just thought of something -- a Euro Plate (one of those fake EU long type of plate) Yes -- No -- Maybe ?

·
Registered
81 Posts
"nylon locking hole plugs" at homedepot located in the screw section in the small trays. $.32 for two. Paint with touchup paint. Barely larger than the hole itself.

Dave

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the idea

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
GripperDon said:
I find it hard to get paint to stick well to Nylon. I had that problem on the 04 MO (caught the 05 in time) and BosDesigns has a nice 1/2 chrome plate on his that looks good, take a peak at his tread http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2946&highlight=mods
Not true, I've had mine on for about 1.5 years right now on my VW Passat and there isn't any flaking at all of the paint. Thin layers are key. Past 4 feet or so, its very hard to tell that there's anything there.

Dave

·
5,100 Posts
I fine sanded the Nylon 6-6 and used many thin coats and they flaked.

·
Registered
81 Posts
GripperDon said:
Sorry but it is true, I fine sanded the Nylon 6-6 and used many thin coats and they flaked. I refuse to post pictures to prove to you my Nylon flaked. Maybe you don't have Nylon, how do you know.
errr because it says on the package "NYLON LOCKING HOLE PLUGS"

·
Registered
44 Posts
Maybe the dealer was just following the law regarding license plates...:)...!

The California Vehicle Code (CVC) requires that all vehicles registered in the State of California have a front license plate.

5200 CVC - When two license plates are issued by the DMV for a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.
5201 CVC - License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from swinging and shall be mounted in a position to be clearly visible, and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible. The front license plate shall be mounted not more than 60 inches from the ground.
5201 (e) CVC - No covering shall be used on license plates, excluding license plate security covers.
5202 CVC – Every license plate issued by this State or any jurisdiction within or without the United States shall remain attached during the period of its validity to the vehicle for which it is issued while being operated within this State.

·
Registered
81 Posts
JMcDonald said:
Maybe the dealer was just following the law regarding license plates...:)...!

The California Vehicle Code (CVC) requires that all vehicles registered in the State of California have a front license plate.

5200 CVC - When two license plates are issued by the DMV for a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.
5201 CVC - License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from swinging and shall be mounted in a position to be clearly visible, and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible. The front license plate shall be mounted not more than 60 inches from the ground.
5201 (e) CVC - No covering shall be used on license plates, excluding license plate security covers.
5202 CVC – Every license plate issued by this State or any jurisdiction within or without the United States shall remain attached during the period of its validity to the vehicle for which it is issued while being operated within this State.
two muranos at my dealer's lot do not have the plate holders screwed in. It may be the law but I doubt that stops a lot of people from running without it.

Dave

·
136 Posts
Glad this came up as my 05(got it Xmas eve) has these stupid holes for mounting a dealer ad plate also. I bought it in Alabama and I noticed they require only a rear plate. I was thinking about filling them up with silicone or bondo and painting but will try Home Depot first

·
5,100 Posts
An I love it.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have a chrome half license plate on my MO that says MURANO. It covers the black mounting bracket perfectly.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Got lucky...my MO was not drilled for the front plates.....and I have not had the heart either :2:

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
What about just filling the holes with some black silicon rubber... that would last and you probaly would not notice it. You could also get some cauking that is paintable and fill the holes then paint it (don't use silicon the paint will not stick) if you need something other than white, black or almond.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Gonzo said:
What about just filling the holes with some black silicon rubber... that would last and you probaly would not notice it. You could also get some cauking that is paintable and fill the holes then paint it (don't use silicon the paint will not stick) if you need something other than white, black or almond.
Won't be smooth, will probably get it on the surrounding paint. Not to mention the hole made by the screw is a jagged hole which looks like crap. Plugs cover all of that.

Dave

·
Registered
105 Posts
What about just putting one of the MO bumper bars on, it would cover the holes as well....plus you have the added benefit of the extra protection for the front.

·
Registered
243 Posts
zebelkhan said:

That dosen't cover the hole :2:

True, but I have installed the plate without screwing the MO.

So no holes to cover.

I used the nissan plate bracket upside down on the fillets inside air intake opening and not at the bumper.

Was scared if I am violating any 'lower limit' of height regulations. apprently not :eek:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts