Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, guys
I want to buy a utility trailer for 2018 Murano but, given the weight limit, market options, my needs and budget, i am wondering what would be better.
i'd like to invest in second hand trailer (new ones are really expensive..) with budget ~500$-700$.
the preference is to buy a trailer as big and light as possible.
the need is usual stuff: bring some home-related object, stuff for the garden etc.

so the questions are:
  • size (would 4x8 be big enough for the car? would 4x6 be small enough for occasional tasks?
  • material (would wooden one be too heavy, leaving only small place for additional weight?)
  • what else should i take into account / consider?
any other suggestions and ideas would be appreciated

thanks !

·
Registered
225 Posts
Your standard 4 X 8 utility trailer like the ones Canadian tire sell should be fine...they are not too heavy and you should be able to put 7 or 8 hundred pounds into it.. just be sure to check the trailer capacity on the tag,

Watch the tongue weight, the Murano sags easily with a bit of weight on the tongue...keep the loads balanced with some bias towards the front (tongue) If you have 500 lbs or so on the trailer try to have about 50 lbs on the tongue.

I pull a 5 X 14 foot galvanized ATV trailer with no difficulty. Only 1 quad at a time though.

Oh yeah...and CROSS YOUR CHAINS...I see so many trailers being pulled and the chains are not crossed, If your ball or reciever breaks the crossed chains will catch the trailer tongue and help keep it more stable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Mikey!

Oh yeah...and CROSS YOUR CHAINS...I see so many trailers being pulled and the chains are not crossed, If your ball or reciever breaks the crossed chains will catch the trailer tongue and help keep it more stable.
Special thank you for this ^^.
Awesome safety idea!!

·
Registered
896 Posts
Lowes sells a 4x6 wire trailer for about $600. Got mine on sale for $450. Laying down a tarp, I've hauled home 1100 lbs of gravel at a time from the local quarry. First load of gravel had deliverd costs me $62 with a $70 deliver charge for a ton of gravel. With the trailer, I'm paying $18 a ton, so usually about $11 buck a load. I've got two sons with strong backs for unloading.

Best money I've spent. I've got some pics posted here with the trailer behind the Murano.

If using the trailer regularly, I would invest in the "in-coil" air bags for when you can't avoid sag, as when carrying a full passenger load, along with the trailer. Greatly improves handling and hard bumps in the rear. I've covered my install on the forum.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Paul!
I'm torn between 4x6 (cheaper and easier to find, but maybe small for a long run?) and 4x8 (way more expensive and also heavier but will fit bigger objects?)
I don't have any particular needs and this should be my first trailer so..

·
Super Moderator
8,219 Posts
What matters isn't the size of the trailer, it's the trailer weight and total weight including load.

Just stay within the stated load limits for your vehicle and hitch, and you can tow whatever you want: utility trailer, boat, jet ski, you name it.

·
Super Moderator
8,219 Posts
Incidentally, if you need to tow a trailer to move a child or friend, keep the weight within bounds and get a double-axle trailer if available. Double axle trailers pull nicely, better than single axles.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i'm driving a 2016 v6 murano that has towing capacity of 1500 lbs. I decided not to put a hitch on it as i needed a Canadian Tire Stirling 5'x7' that has GVWR of 1998 lbs. I ended up putting a hitch on the wife's Sante Fe.I really wish the Muranos towing capacity was better.
Based on this discussion I have to assume they improved the towing capacity after 2016, otherwise you could be in warranty trouble if you exceed the 1500lbs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nope, still 1500 lbs.. I don't need more than that.. Occasional hauling of household and traveling stuff..
Looking for a trailer that won't steal too much of that weight

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 5'X8' wire landscape trailer that I pull behind my '17+ Murano whenever I need to pick up something big and/or dirty from my local home improvement store. I agree with Mikeybc - watch the tongue weight. Keep as much weight on the trailer axle(s) as possible.

·
Super Moderator
8,219 Posts
A note of follow-up: yes, the trailer must be reasonably balanced, but the trailer tongue must ALWAYS be heavier than the back end. You always want the tongue to be slightly heavy. You should have (guessing here from experience) at east a 50-pound tongue load, but it doesn't have to be hundreds of pounds.

A trailer that's rear-heavy is dangerous to tow and can become uncontrollable, especially under braking.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts