Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
CVT breather hose--it's plugged right into it. Let me guess...you pulled the airbox out and didn't notice it was attached with one of those annoying plastic ziptie fasteners that Nissan adores. I'm actually surprised it tore rather than got pulled out of the CVT.

EDIT: After looking at the pics again, it looks like it's been that way for a while and probably not your fault?

Reactions: Broncos57

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CVT breather hose--it's plugged right into it. Let me guess...you pulled the airbox out and didn't notice it was attached with one of those annoying plastic ziptie fasteners that Nissan adores. I'm actually surprised it tore rather than got pulled out of the CVT.

EDIT: After looking at the pics again, it looks like it's been that way for a while and probably not your fault?
I'm almost certain it wasn't my doing this time haha. I should have taken a closer picture of it but wanted to try and give a general location of it. It looks completely deteriorated and is "cut" at an angle. I'm not even sure if this hose could actually reach the airbox due to how short it is but now that I think of it that would make perfect sense because on the bottom of it it looks like a hose could fit around it. Would this cause any sort of issues you know of? Appreciate the response

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have noticed the same unconnected hose in on my 05. It's bent slightly downward. I assumed it's some kind of "vent", but now, I'm curious. Is it supposed to be connected to the air intake box? If this is the case, the only time the intake box was removed was during the mass flow duct recall service.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have noticed the same unconnected hose in on my 05. It's bent slightly downward. I assumed it's some kind of "vent", but now, I'm curious. Is it supposed to be connected to the air intake box? If this is the case, the only time the intake box was removed was during the mass flow duct recall service.
I'll link a picture of what I'm almost certain it is now from the service manual! The only issue is since mine is essentially "cut in half" I don't exactly know where it would go if I replace it. I don't suppose you have a picture of yours? I think its just a vent tube and doesn't actually attach/connect to anything

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Its a vent hose. Do not do anything. Let it be. Its there in case your CVT overheats and pressure goes beyond normal, it has a way to escape. Much like the water heater in your house. There is a pressure vent tubing like this sticking outside the wall of your house.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its a vent hose. Do not do anything. Let it be. Its there in case your CVT overheats and pressure goes beyond normal, it has a way to escape. Much like the water heater in your house. There is a pressure vent tubing like this sticking outside the wall of your house.
Thats what I figured upon researching it further. The only thing though is that mine is basically cut in "half" so I'm not sure if I should get a new one just to be safe

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Sure. If you want. It just directional. Pointing the splash downward to the top of the cvt. Unless you way overfill your CVT and drive like crazy, you will not see that thing doing its job. Which is what you want. If that thing actually performs its task, you have more issues than where its pointed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sure. If you want. It just directional. Pointing the splash downward to the top of the cvt. Unless you way overfill your CVT and drive like crazy, you will not see that thing doing its job. Which is what you want. If that thing actually performs its task, you have more issues than where its pointed.
Ahhh okay I see exactly what you are saying now! I appreciate the reply! I guess technically its still pointing "downward" so minus well leave it as is haha.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'll link a picture of what I'm almost certain it is now from the service manual! The only issue is since mine is essentially "cut in half" I don't exactly know where it would go if I replace it. I don't suppose you have a picture of yours? I think its just a vent tube and doesn't actually attach/connect to anything View attachment 53547
Just took a picture of mine. It looks slightly longer.
IMG_20210526_174504.jpg

·
Registered
643 Posts
My hose isn't connected to anything. As I understood it, it's just a short piece to help the CVT breathe. I've read posts where that hose was clogged and caused problems.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I didn't realize comparing tube pic is a thing. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
My hose is bigger than yours! :D

But seriously, @Cryogenix1 is correct. It's a breather tube to normalize air pressure. Heat naturally causes air and fluid to expand which builds pressure when inside a container (think pressure cooker). So, when the CVT gets hot this pressure needs somewhere to go and that is the purpose of the breather tube--to allow for relief of this pressure. If you have AWD then you'll also find breather tubes on the transfer case and rear differential for the same reason. If these were completely sealed then expansion pressure caused by the hot oil and air inside would build up and potentially break a seal and result in a leak.

I can only guess that it's pointed down to prevent debris from going into the CVT since the air can travel in both directions. If possible, I would suggest replacing it if the part is available.

Reactions: MuranoSL2003

·
Registered
142 Posts
If it does "breath" (ie. inhale and exhale) as the name suggests, then it is better to replace the torn tube with a downward bent one to prevent dirt or even rain/water splash from getting into the tube.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts