Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer said that the service would cost around $250...does this sound ok or should I be paying less?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just had my 15k service done yesterday at my dealer. I bring in my own Mobil 1 oil and with oil change and tire rotation they charged my $40.

I looked at the normal 15k service sheet and didn't see anything on there that I thought really needed to be done. The only think I saw outside the norm was check belts. So I told them to skip it. $40 vs $250, big difference!

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
i thought at 15K you should also replace

engine filter and interior filter?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok..i'll try looking at other dealers in my area to check out their prices.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
It would depend what they will do at the service. Most dealers will do extra unnecessary work.

According to the owners manual at 15,000 miles, the following services should be performed:

Change oil and filter
Rotate tires
Inspect a whole bunch of things.

That to me, should not cost more than $60 ($30 for each service).

However, many dealers will also replace your air filter (basically charging you $50 to spend 5 minutes to replace a $8 part), top off your fluids (mainly, the washer fluid...oooh thats another $25 they charge you for a 99 cent bottle of windex).

Some dealers will do unnecessary things like "install MOA" (motor oil additive), "fuel treatment" (aka a $2 bottle of STP that they charge $15 for), and a whole lot of other totally unnecessary services.

At 15k, they might recommend a radiator service, which is not really needed but its also not a bad idea to have a drain and refill. Should not cost more than $60 though for this service, and if its a flush, then no more than $100.

·
Registered
357 Posts
ThisIsOly:

Assuming the US service & maintenance guide is the same as the US version, there are three levels of maintenance suggested:
Preferred, Schedule 1 or Schedule 2. To my mind 'Preferred' is excessive and 'Schedule 2' only applies to a car which is typically highway driven in a temperate climate - definitley not this neck of the woods for half a year!

My dealer quotes a price of $100 for Schedule 1, which does include cabin filter replacement.

Wondering if yours is quoting on the more expensive 'Preferred', but even then it seems expensive. I'd suggest you refer the guide to them and ask what is the standard price for each option.

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
adding to eric L:

According to the owners manual at 15,000 miles, the following services should be performed:
I thought replacing the engine air filter is to be done at 15K too?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Yeah I would replace my air filter every 15k. But its not necessary according to the owners manual. Why pay the dealer to do it when you can do it yourself in five minutes? Its the easiest maintenance item to change on the car.

Yep I forgot the cabin filter - its due every 15k. I replaced mine myself and it took about an hour with me taking my time. So it should not cost more than $100 for the dealer to change it, assuming the tech is as slow as I am!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I got my 15k service..sort of...

I got my free oil change from the dealer and got my tires rotated for <$20.

I needed to change my wipers and got the ANCO 18" and 24" for $7 and $12 from Murrays.

I also got the air filter for $6 and tried to replace them from the manual instructions but the assembly doesn't want to come up. I don't want to break anything so I put the 2 clips back on. Is there another step I am missing or a trick to replacing the filter? I thought it's supposed to take 5 min? Oh, it's my first time doing anything to my car so it took me a while to figure out the wipers too. :p

I will order the cabin microfilters and replace them myself pretty soon.

So I'm happy spending about $50 to get parts for 15k service and just doing it myself...now if I can just get to that air filter...

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I believe there are 3 clips for the air filter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts