Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I' haven't purchased one yet but really want one bad. I want an SL with the touring package what would be a good price where I wouldn't be getting screwed?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Go to edmunds.com, look up the 'total market value' price for what you want, and then offer the dealer less than that. Don't forget that Nissan is currently offering a $1k rebate.

Also remember that dealers like to play hide-the-salami when making profits. They make money off the car, off the trade-in, off financing and off after-sale items such as extended warranties, undercoating, etc. Many dealers will cut one item (say, the price) and try to make up for it by jacking up another (say, by reducing your trade-in value or offering you higher financing). If you see a dealer draw a four-square "grid" on a piece of paper and start working numbers during the negotiating, know that this is what is going on.

This is why I walk into a dealer knowing what I am willing to pay and how much I want for my trade-in, and then I never finance through a dealer and never buy the after-sale stuff (OK, this time I broke down and paid $200 for window tinting, just for sake of convenience...black car with black interior...probably could have had it done elsewhere for half the price).

And bring something to read. Having you sit and wait while a salesman "talks to the sales manager" for, oh, 20 minutes is another favorite sales tactic.

Dealers also appreciate not being jerked around by customers. If they know that you came prepared, and that you are a motivated buyer who's ready to close the sale, you'd be surprised how quickly the negotiations can go -- particularly at the end of a model year like we're at now.

·
Registered
717 Posts
IMO, Edmunds TMV numbers are always inflated because they trail the actual transactions, especially at the end of the model year when prices are falling rapidly in order to clear the way for the new years models.

CarMax in Washington DC has a Nissan franchise (their only Nissan one by the way) and has always been my benchmark for pricing on any new Nissan vehicle.

They clearly show the MSRP on their web site and your discount from MSRP, which is all that really matters, assuming you don't fall for any of the dealer tricks "frpbozz" mentions in his post, including the advertising fee that so many try to add in.

(The fact that CarMax doesn't try to add in this advertising fee has always been the best weapon in my dealing with Nissan dealers.)

The fact that CarMax may not physically be a possibility for you to actually buy from shouldn't stop you from using their pricing in your dealings.

The local dealer doesn't know that you won't buy a plane ticket out there and enjoy your new ride back home (and they will pick you up at the airport, if you ask)!

Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good price

Thanks, I checked out the web-site it was about 30,000. I guess I'm getting a good price. A local dealer was offering it for 24,000 but it was the base model. I was quoted 29,000 with the touring package. What do you think?

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Oscar, are you talking about FWD or AWD?

I got my SL AWD base for $28,500K including everything (MD tax, title, registration,inspection).
The original closing price (no tax and fees) was around $800 below invoice and the dealer give me $350 worth of maintenance coupon.

I bought my 03 murano at the end of year 03 (close to november).
So i guess, we are in the same boat: you are getting an 04 in the end of 04 model year. ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No it's the SL 2 wheel drive with the touring package. It's 29,000 plus tax and ttl? I want him to go down another 1,000

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Oscar

It's 29,000 plus tax and ttl? I want him to go down another 1,000
I think that is fair, $28K including tax&title&fee for an SL FWD with touring package.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Dklanecky1 is right about the CarMax price (used it myself to help draw up a 'target' price) although CarMax is also not an end-all...for example, they generally offer you Edmunds Blue Book prices for trade-ins, which are usually lower than NADA prices. (and a small thing in case you're in this area: the CarMax Nissan dealer is in White Marsh, Md., northeast of Baltimore, about 60 miles from DC).

It sounds like you're getting into the right zone on the price.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, for your input well I'm down in TX that's a way from here. Yeah I had checked out carmax and noticed there was a dealer up there. I'll let you guys know what happens.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I'm also kinda waiting to see the 05's if they're around the same price might as well go with that, but am confused on what to do. If I wait to long and the 05 is a lot more they won't have any 04's left with what I want and if I buy it now and the 05 is about the same price I'll be mad.:confused:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts