Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,
i just got into an accident, other driver's fault.
anybody know a good place to get a free repair estimate? this estimate will be needed to get the money from the other driver's insurance company, of course.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Andy - a lot depends on which part of the country you're in. Given that it was the other driver's fault, your best bet is to find several reputable collision shops to give you written estimates (this should be done for free). And when I say "reputable," I'm not referring to Maaco or Earl Scheib!! Check with local Nissan dealers to see who they use or even if they have an affiliate collision shop. When you get the estimate, let the shop know you want to have the car fixed back to the condition it was in prior to the collision. Although others may disagree with me on this - do NOT tell them that the other driver is footing the bill. My experience has been that some shops (even legit shops) see this as an invitation to pad the bill. Just let them know you're interested in a quality job at a reasonable price. Besides, if the estimates are too high, the other guy's insurance company may start giving you a hard time. Having several legitimate written estimates from several shops will help your case quite a bit in your bid for reimbursement. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
AAA approved repair shops tend to be safe to go to, since they do undergo regular inspections and surveys to make sure they do a good job.

But I think the best source is to go by word of mouth. Ask friends, coworkers, they will tell you places to go to, and most importantly, places to avoid.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Eric L. said:
AAA approved repair shops tend to be safe to go to, since they do undergo regular inspections and surveys to make sure they do a good job.

But I think the best source is to go by word of mouth. Ask friends, coworkers, they will tell you places to go to, and most importantly, places to avoid.
Eric is right. Word of mouth is the best. I have AAA and had two major accidents in the past two years (not me - my better half - in a Honda and a Toyota - repair costs of $9k and $17k). AAA sent us to two different shops and quality of work between the two was like night and day. AAA approved can get you started (at least for the estimate) but you still need to do your homework. Ask to see some finished work before you trust them with your MO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts