Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please post MPG or l/100km with average speed - otherwise it would be hard to judge as MPG in rush hour in big city will be completely different than rural town driving.

It's better to post final numbers before tank refill.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Trip over the weekend...2015 FWD Platinum.

28.2 mpg, 59 mph average speed over 570 miles. The first part of that trip was 30.0 mpg, 65 mph average speed over 240 miles. Manual calculations were nearly spot on this time around at 28.1 mpg for the 570 mile trip.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trip over the weekend...2015 FWD Platinum.

28.2 mpg, 59 mph average speed over 570 miles. The first part of that trip was 30.0 mpg, 65 mph average speed over 240 miles. Manual calculations were nearly spot on this time around at 28.1 mpg for the 570 mile trip.
That's a nice average speed! And nice MPG to go with that accordingly. :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
That's a nice average speed! And nice MPG to go with that accordingly. :)
The trip is mostly interstate...I-40 and I-49 (through the NW AR terrain). It's easy to get these numbers on those routes. In fact...the trip total included a 25 min period of idling while keeping dogs cool during a pit stop (it was 95-100 degrees on Sun)...and several full throttle runs dealing with annoying traffic from Fayetteville to the MO state line.

·
Registered
40 Posts
MPG really sucks in the city of Chicago, but I drove a few hours to the middle of Wisconsin a few weekends ago, 80% highway, with 5,000 miles already registered, after one oil change, and surprisingly averaged 31 mpg without the cruise control on.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Drove to Baltimore (8 hour Journey) 2 weeks after having the car, and I pulled 7.8/100KM on the way down and back. Generally stuck around 115-120KM/HR. Mixed city/highway driving I will see about 10.5/100KM and these numbers are exactly the same as my previous car a 4CYL 2013 Optima Turbo.....pretty impressive as they rate the Murano at 8.2/100KM

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good to hear 28-30 MPG on highways. It's still amazing for an SUV this big with 3.5L engine and 4000lbs. Just 4-5 years ago this was medium and compact sedans territory.

We just got our Murano 2 days ago, but we so far got 23.5MPG (10L/100km) with 23.6miles per hour average speed. It's for combined city/highway driving on half of our first tank so far.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Drove to Baltimore (8 hour Journey) 2 weeks after having the car, and I pulled 7.8/100KM on the way down and back. Generally stuck around 115-120KM/HR. Mixed city/highway driving I will see about 10.5/100KM and these numbers are exactly the same as my previous car a 4CYL 2013 Optima Turbo.....pretty impressive as they rate the Murano at 8.2/100KM
Wow, 7.8/100km is 30MPG! It's funny but 2012 Toyota Camry 3.5L also has 21 city and 30hwy MPG. And it's a sedan that weighs less than Murano. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Please post MPG or l/100km with average speed - otherwise it would be hard to judge as MPG in rush hour in big city will be completely different than rural town driving.

It's better to post final numbers before tank refill.
I've been less than pleased with my MPG on a white 2015 Platinum FWD. I live in Atlanta and have been averaging 19.0 mpg in traffic morning and evening. The best mpg I've achieved was last weekend at 28.2 mpg on a road trip to Montgomery, Alabama. I'm close to 4,000 miles on the odometer and was hoping to at least achieve the EPA 21 mpg city as the engine broke in. I know, the vehicle is heavy and all, but 19.0 mpg is the same as my old 2005 BMW 645ci which was a heck of a lot more powerful (V-8 engine).

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been less than pleased with my MPG on a white 2015 Platinum FWD. I live in Atlanta and have been averaging 19.0 mpg in traffic morning and evening. The best mpg I've achieved was last weekend at 28.2 mpg on a road trip to Montgomery, Alabama. I'm close to 4,000 miles on the odometer and was hoping to at least achieve the EPA 21 mpg city as the engine broke in. I know, the vehicle is heavy and all, but 19.0 mpg is the same as my old 2005 BMW 645ci which was a heck of a lot more powerful (V-8 engine).
Average speed matters. Same car can have 13 MPG in heavy city traffic and 21MPG in some other much less congested place.

If you are saying that your old 2005 645ci got 19MPG in same conditions like heavy Atlanta traffic during rush hours - then there's something wrong - it's rated at 15MPG city and you got 19MPG?

My sisters bmw 328xi can't even get 16MPG in city and its a small sedan.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Average speed matters. Same car can have 13 MPG in heavy city traffic and 21MPG in some other much less congested place.

If you are saying that your old 2005 645ci got 19MPG in same conditions like heavy Atlanta traffic during rush hours - then there's something wrong - it's rated at 15MPG city and you got 19MPG?

My sisters bmw 328xi can't even get 16MPG in city and its a small sedan.
Just went to the garage and started it up to check. I reset the computer every time I fill up. 18.0mpg, 21 mph, 110.5 miles.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just went to the garage and started it up to check. I reset the computer every time I fill up. 18.0mpg, 21 mph, 110.5 miles.
cbenj that looks a bit too much. :( We still don't have enough data collected to say something definite, but closest is our 23.6mph and we got 23.5MPG. I wonder if idling time during stop and go rush hour is accounted in that average speed number? Can you please describe your traffic conditions - is it really bad? I'm just worried that with winter coming it may even get worth.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Would switching to neutral while going downhill raise the mpg?
Good question. We don't know how the 3.5L and CVT combo operates to answer that. If fuel injection is shut down during downhill (as it should be on smarter fuel efficient vehicles lately) - then switching to neutral will not raise MPG. If fuel continues to be pumped no matter what - then switching to Neutral may slightly increase MPG by allowing engine rpm's to go to lowest idle speed.

i have a feeling that Murano uses smart engine braking together with CVT - so it shuts down fuel injection when going downhill.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I use Fuelly to track my mpg on my cars, and thus far I'm averaging 22.1. I do a fair amount of stop/go driving making store runs, driving the kid around, etc. and sometimes I do a bit of lead footing. Overall pretty pleased.

We did take a road trip recently and averaged almost 29.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a 2009 (purchased in 2008) with 55K on it - I drive very conservatively - I have never gotten remotely close to 3o MPG on the hwy - I frankly don't believe it - I'm a musician and driving home late at night with a full tank - down US 1 so averaging between 50 and 60 - I can get around 25 - never come close to 30 - on the HWY averaging 75 to 80 I get about 21 or 22 - that's it and as I said I drive with the mindset to save fuel - I have seen these posts about 30 MPG for years on this site and I'm sorry but I dodn't believe it.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts