Nissan Murano Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Break in period?

I see a lot of people mentioning a "break in period" regarding their care MPG.

I recently got a 2017.5 SL and -- granted we have been going through a terrible cold snap in the north east the last 2-3 weeks - but over the first month the mileage has been pretty terrible. Roughly 15 litres / 100 km (which I believe is approximately 15 MPG).

I've read some reviews online that had similar results to this, but I've also read many many people praising the MPG on this car, which is actually one of the reasons we decided to buy it.

In people's experience, should I expect things to get better once the break in period passes? How many miles have folks found it takes to break in?

Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Me too.. New 2017.5 Murano. Mostly City driving, I am getting about 17mpg (calculating the correct way - filling the gas tank) - computer says 18mpg. I am filling up my tank twice a week - ugh.... About 1000/miles month. Currently have 3700 miles on the car.

Will it get any better ?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Break in period doesn't matter. It gets flat out awful mileage in city driving. I don't know what sort of BS the EPA test has for city driving, but it ain't real city driving. Actual city MPG is close to 16-18 MPG if you're careful about it. A lot worse if you drive normally. I don't know in what fantasy world the EPA got 21 mpg city.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Yeah the only city I could see getting a solid 21 mpg in would be San Fran, as long as you're driving downhill the whole time. If you're mostly putting around in stop and go city traffic and concerned about good fuel economy, you should have purchased something else.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Your average speed is a better measure of potential economy than any other factors with the Mo, IMHO. the higher the average speed, up to about 60 mph, the better the fuel economy.

My Mo, a 16 AWD with 15000km, gets terrible mileage around town in typically heavy traffic at speeds below 50 km/h (18L/100 km average). On the highway at speeds of 120km/h (the posted limit on the Inland Island Highway), the Mo gets close to 8.5L/100km. Computer average shows 12.9 L/100km, 42km average speed, over 4000km and the last 5 months of driving.

Definitely not ideal for low speed and short trips. awesome highway cruiser, though

·
Registered
89 Posts
19mpg and 22mph... I take the streets to work, about 47 miles one way, and the hiway home doing about 80 mph...?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Trip over the weekend...2015 FWD Platinum.

28.2 mpg, 59 mph average speed over 570 miles. The first part of that trip was 30.0 mpg, 65 mph average speed over 240 miles. Manual calculations were nearly spot on this time around at 28.1 mpg for the 570 mile trip.
I better get this kind of MPG, or I'll be totally PO'd!

·
Registered
544 Posts
I better get this kind of MPG, or I'll be totally PO'd!
If you're logging mostly highway miles under 65-70mph, you shouldn't have a problem hitting that.

fwiw, I just rolled over 30k miles and per Fuelly, "lifetime" mpg thus far has been 22.2mpg. This is via my very unscientific estimate of between 65 and 75% city/suburb driving on flat Florida terrain, with occasional highway bursts and even more occasional road trips.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Trip over the weekend...2015 FWD Platinum.

28.2 mpg, 59 mph average speed over 570 miles. The first part of that trip was 30.0 mpg, 65 mph average speed over 240 miles. Manual calculations were nearly spot on this time around at 28.1 mpg for the 570 mile trip.
My wife has a 2011 MO, was getting 17-18 average in 80-90 degree weather consistently relatively flat area. I knew we had mechanical problems (wheel bearing, shaft, ooh over 120k miles). Fixed all items & did a complete tune-up, transmission flush (had already done a drain at 60k miles (in-line transmission filter change EXTREMELY important), alignment, new tires--jumped to 22-23 mpg consistently! On that model year EPA mpg is 23.
I saw your mpg and didn't believe it so I looked at EPA specs --wow!! You are doing really good!
Btw--my wife's MO now has 140k miles on the odometer and still gets 22-23 mpg consistently.
VQ series engine are great $ reliable had a '99 Maxima (3.0) 250k on Odometer & lost it in a head on collision--total loss but I was sure it would have gone another 250k--but that wasn't a CVT...

DON'T FORGET TO CHANGE CVT fluid (or drains)and you can get high milage on it. I am preying to top 200k, but I know that I might be pushing the CVT or maybe not (CVT yet don't have the reputation for longevity but I want to give it a try). But our MO is paid for and I told the wife that our next car needs to get 30 pmg+ -- I gotta make sure she doesn't see the mpg of the new MO--yet (lol).

·
Registered
18 Posts
I want to apologize (2young2retire) for in how I posted my comment AND thank you for the info. You see my model MO is earlier model then your's (it has a different transmission, although CVT too not 100 sure of the difference other then start ratio maybe programing ...) and under no way under any conditions can I get it to pass over 23 mpg even at very easy driving speeds it seems. Your model IS much better in terms of mpg was what I was trying to say (& didn't do a good job after re-reading it) and the MO are NOW solid cars and I would consider the NEW model especially at a better mpg which you clearly documented.
Thank you for the input

41 - 51 of 51 Posts