Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why cant firestone get my steering wheel straight when they Align my car? Last time is was to the left this time to the right …. Is there something special they should be doing??

·
Registered
359 Posts
Nothing special that I know of.

My steering wheel was just a little off center to the left upon delivery. Dealer fixed it the next day under warranty and its has been perfect ever since, even after a tire rotation. On a straight, properly cambered road with little wind, it virtually steers itself.

Don't know how long you have had your MO, but if any time/miles left on the initial adjustment warranty period permit, suggest the dealer look at it. Otherwise I like the service at Goodyear rather than Firestone!

·
Registered
28 Posts
If your steering wheel is not straight, but the vehicle tracks correctly; it's simply a toe adjusment.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Believe it or not, I have been to a Firestone for an alignment on my previous cars where they did not lock the steering wheel in place with a tool while performing the wheel alignment. The result - a crooked wheel after the job was done. I always specifically tell them to lock the wheel with a tool when I get a wheel alignment. Yeah its a bit insulting to the mechanic if he was planning to do that anyways, but I am the customer and if I want to be anal about my car, they can't do anything about it!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eric L. said:
Believe it or not, I have been to a Firestone for an alignment on my previous cars where they did not lock the steering wheel in place with a tool while performing the wheel alignment. The result - a crooked wheel after the job was done. I always specifically tell them to lock the wheel with a tool when I get a wheel alignment. Yeah its a bit insulting to the mechanic if he was planning to do that anyways, but I am the customer and if I want to be anal about my car, they can't do anything about it!

LOL it is funny you say that they told me they lock the wheel with a tool and i did not even know thats how it was.. but they have coming to my work today to pick my car up and fix it... it is fine before i brought it to them...errrrrrrrr just needed a alignment

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ppeter78 said:

LOL it is funny you say that they told me they lock the wheel with a tool and i did not even know thats how it was.. but they have coming to my work today to pick my car up and fix it... it is fine before i brought it to them...errrrrrrrr just needed a alignment
ok so ya um i got the car back from firestone and the wheel is back the other way now .. he said that is as good as they can get it... :( depressed they cant get it right now i have to go to the dealer and pay more..

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Ah man that is just sad to hear! I would ask to speak to the manager of the Firestone - this is not acceptable! Good luck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eric L. said:
Ah man that is just sad to hear! I would ask to speak to the manager of the Firestone - this is not acceptable! Good luck.
manager picked it up from my work brought it back worse now to the left again said thats as good as they can get it

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
ppeter78 said:

manager picked it up from my work brought it back worse now to the left again said thats as good as they can get it
DId they provide you with a printout of your before and after specs? Were they within spec? It should specify a range, and they need to get it back within that range. If they did that, then you might want to check your tire pressures to make sure you are not feeling too much of the road. I run 38F, 35R and the combination of ride and handing is good for my preferences (a bit sharper handling for a bit harsher ride).

·
Registered
470 Posts
My car seems to track great but the steering wheel is slightly offset to the right. It has been this way since new except there was a period in time when the steering wheel seemed to be straight but it now back to being offset to the right. Is there any adjustment to align the steering wheel without doing an alignment? The dealer looked at the car and said they would do an alignment to fix the problem but I was hoping maybe the steering rack had a lateral adjustment. I thought maybe the steering rack had some lateral adjustment and that is why for a time the wheel seemed straight but my dealer looked at the rack and said all the bolts were tight.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
HuskyFan said:
My car seems to track great but the steering wheel is slightly offset to the right. It has been this way since new except there was a period in time when the steering wheel seemed to be straight but it now back to being offset to the right. Is there any adjustment to align the steering wheel without doing an alignment? The dealer looked at the car and said they would do an alignment to fix the problem but I was hoping maybe the steering rack had a lateral adjustment. I thought maybe the steering rack had some lateral adjustment and that is why for a time the wheel seemed straight but my dealer looked at the rack and said all the bolts were tight.
Part of an alignment service is to set the steering wheel at the straight position, then align the wheels (while keeping the steering wheel locked straight).

If your 05 is less than a year old and less than 12,000 miles, you can get a free alignment from the dealer under Nissan's 12/12,000 "adjustment" period (see your warranty book).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello everyone! I had the same problem with my Mo, took it in had the manager realign... Believe this or not, he told me the car maker has the car slowly drift to the right incase the driver falls asleep, it goes toward the ditch?... That's the story I was told.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
all4me said:
Hello everyone! I had the same problem with my Mo, took it in had the manager realign... Believe this or not, he told me the car maker has the car slowly drift to the right incase the driver falls asleep, it goes toward the ditch?... That's the story I was told.
You can't be serious... that is the biggest BS I've heard. If anything I would buy theyhave it slightly drift to the right since most roads have a slight crown in the middle for drainage. Thus the car would always want to pull to the left. Of course this "engineer idea" is shot when driving in the left lane on divided highway. Something else over engineered on cars today.

Like others have said if the car tracks OK and the sterring wheel is off it can be fixed, keep the wheel staight while performing the alignment. If that shop can't get it right, tell them you are going to go to another and if they get it straigh then you expect a full refund. If you paid with a credit card you would be in a good position to dispute the charges.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I personally would fix it myself. Just loosen both tie rod locknuts and turn each tie rod the same amount in the same direction until it is straight. You can't be any worse off than letting those clowns at Firestone play with it.
OR--- go to a quality alignment shop...

·
Registered
438 Posts
Cars are not desgined to pull to the right 'in case the driver falls asleep' This is a common urban legend in this case spewed by an uninformed service monkey trying to get you off his back. (Big surprise, right?).

Anyway, if the alignment is to spec and the steering wheel is not straight then they did not have it straight when the alignment was performed. Usually the alignment is a one man job, they put the wheel straight then start wrenching on the suspension. Problem is, the wheel IF NOT LOCKED DOWN, will always move a bit as the suspension components are nudged.

"This is the best we can get it" Too bad you can't give them only 25% of their charge when they hand you the bill "This is the most I can pay you for the crappy job you did" :D

Anyway, there are high end alignment shops (that also do corner balancing for example) who actually care about your car and will get that wheel spot on. (Until you next parallel park and hit the curb :) )

·
Registered
470 Posts
HuskyFan said:
I had the wheel alignment done this week in order to get the steering wheel centered. The steering wheel seemed to be perfectly centered when I took the car home. Several days later the wheel seem to be offset to the left slightly when driving straight down the road. Originally the wheel was offset to the right, then for a period of time it seemed to be centered. It seems as though the steering rack has some left/right play in it but the dealer checked the rack bolts. Any ideas ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts