Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i've been looking at a couple websites to see what rims are out there that i might possibly want to get for the MO next summer.. i am almost positve i want 22".. but when looking at these websites i see two different categories.. car wheels (fwd) and truck wheels (rwd).. now from what i remember the MO is FWD when not in its AWD mode.. but i dont think of the MO as a car? i would think it would be considered truck for truck wheels.. anyone who has bought rims online or who can tell me if there is even a difference please help a bother out..

-jay

·
Major Geek
638 Posts
I believe the AWD is 80/20 front/rear until more kick is needed from the back.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
The FWD does not route any power to the back until traction is needed (i.e. 100% FWD), then it can split the torque up to 50/50. The driveshaft leading to the rear wheels is constantly turning though, and its an electronic clutch in the rear transfer case which couples the AWD.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
The things to be concerned with are the Offset and the weight rating.

The offset for that Murano is 35mm and That's really the most important thing in determining FWD/RWD.
Funny thing about the Murano. It is basically a FWD vehicle. But it has the same offset on the wheels as the FX which is a RWD vehicle........
Just get a wheel that is 35 and don't worry if they call it FWD or RWD.

IMO the weight rating should be 2000 pounds or more.
This is something I never see discussed.
When Nissan was not shipping Chrome wheels I went out to buy some aftermarket wheels. I found a nice set but they were rated at 1620 pounds.
IMO that is not a strong enough wheel for a 4000 pound vehicle,
I believe that the rule of thumb is gross weight divided by 2.
I kept looking and found wheels by Ion that were rated at 2000 pounds.

One of the other things to look at is the hub. Most likely you will buy a wheel with a larger hub hole than the Murano hub. Make sure you have them use Hub Rings. The Murano is a little unusual in that regard too. I believe that the Murano hub is 66.5mm. Not everybody stocks hub rings in that size.

Homer

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
The Murano hubs are standard Nissan size. All Nissans use the same size hubs.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replies guys.. i only really needed to know if i choose a fwd or rwd wheel.. but from what hfelknor said just aslong as the specs of the wheel is right it shouldnt matter.. thanks for elaborating how the AWD works.. i basically got the gist of it from all the other AWD threads.. :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was told that it was AWD up to 18mph, then it was FWD. :confused:

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
BARCODE said:
I was told that it was AWD up to 18mph, then it was FWD. :confused:
This is true for AWD LOCK mode. AWD up to 18mph, and then automatic AWD (FWD, then AWD when needed) after that.

Now the G35X and the FX AWD have a more clever system - since they are RWD, they default in AWD when starting from a stop, then go into automatic AWD mode (RWD, then AWD when needed).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts