Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
A couple of weeks back, I won a set of OEM SL wheels and tires off of ebay. On one of the wheels, there are 13 wheel weights, and 11 on another. You can see the whole line of them. The wheels I'm replacing have maybe 3 max. Should I be concerned with this? Today was my first commute on them, and they felt fine (no vibrations, pulling, etc.).
Could the wheel be defective/damaged to need so many weights?
Thanks,
Glenn

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
gseepes said:
On one of the wheels, there are 13 wheel weights, and 11 on another. Should I be concerned with this?
Thanks,
Glenn
Glenn-

I certainly hope not!

I have 20 weights on the right-front wheel. Two of the weights have the number "25" stamped on them. I am assuming that means 25 grams.

While my MO has only 5,000 miles on it, it rides likes yours - no wheel vibration, no pulling, etc.

-njjoe

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
I see to recall that the manual states not to use more than 3 weights max per wheel.

You should seriously look into something called "road force balancing". It's incredible how much smoother the ride is since I had that done, compared to the many other times I've had my wheels balanced. And at the speeds I drive, I would definately notice vibration ;)

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Tyler_Canada-

I'm the MO-driver with the 20 weights on my right-front wheel.

I have absolutely zero complaints concerning vibration. The car is extremely smooth-riding and tracks as if on rails.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the weights when I replace the tires in a few years. I'd like to know what part of the weights is for the wheel and what part is for the tire.

-njjoe

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
"I have 20 weights on the right-front wheel. Two of the weights have the number "25" stamped on them. I am assuming that means 25 grams."

25 grams is almost an ounce. If you truly have 20 25 gram weights., Something is bad wrong. I suspect that those "weights" are 1/4 oz each.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Lets see

453.59 grams in a pound. A pound of lead on the rim. Hmmmmmmmm.

First using an indicator slowly spin the tire on the axel and see if it is reasonably round. IF SO. I would have the rim balanced. Then place the tire on the rim. Now you can locate the heavy spot on the tire. remount the tire to counter balance the heavy spot on the rim. Re balance road force, final balance on the car.

or 10 ounces is still very high 5/8 of a pound Hmmmmmmmmm.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Why fix it if it ain't broken?

Like I said in an earlier post, the MO runs smooth without any vibration and tracks straight. The steering wheel is perfectly centered and there is no steering wheel shimmy at any speed.

In other words.... it's perfect.

-njjoe

·
4,994 Posts
I Think

that is a question that in right there with why paint the calipers. My answer is beacuse I would both want to know and second I would want to have the minimum possible. It is came out the same ( I would record everything to begin with) I would still be happy. I am one of those guys that just likes to know and is a nut about taking things to the ultimate. Hey I want to live to at least a 100 also and be in perfect health and die while making love. :D

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Re: I Think

GripperDon said:
that is a question that in right there with why paint the calipers. My answer is because I would both want to know and second I would want to have the minimum possible. It is came out the same ( I would record everything to begin with) I would still be happy. I am one of those guys that just likes to know and is a nut about taking things to the ultimate. Hey I want to live to at least a 100 also and be in perfect health and die while making love. :D
GripperDon-

I have always looked forward to reading your posts, even before I bought the MO and was just a lurker on this forum. As I stated in an earlier thread, your posts are always informative, insightful, or humorous (and sometimes all three). This one is a gem. I absolutely loved your last wish. :2:

After Tyler_Canada jump-started this thread, and ekaxel and yourself added your two cents, you guys got me to thinking. So I sat down and penned a letter to my dealer requesting that they inspect the wheel during my next visit. I want them to acknowledge the existence of the 20 weights in case I end up with a problem as the tire wears or when I end up replacing the skins. I want it documented to be on the safe side.

Thanx for your prodding and assistance. It is always welcome.

-njjoe

·
Registered
781 Posts
I agree with Tyler and Grip.

It is almost like wearing a belt and suspenders - yeah it holds your pants up but it looks funny.

I'd look in to the road force - they can find the heavy spot of the tire and the heavy spot of the rim and position them to use the smallest number of weights.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
GMTURBO43-

Everything you guys are saying makes perfect sense. My only concern is that the longer I can go without the dealer touching my car, the better I will feel. I have a very smooth running car, and I just know that if the dealer gets involved something will be amiss. I just know it. If it weren't for Nissan's bad service reputation I wouldn't be concerned. I am just looking to have the situation documented and confirmed in case a problem occurs after the 1 year adjustment period.

-njjoe

·
4,994 Posts
One advantage of least weights is

if you loose one you will know it. I have a friend (not me) that is so retentive that he has a record of the weight amount on each wheel recorded.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Don't take it to the dealer. There are shops (I'm a fan of Discount Tire) that can perform this for you.

You'll have to pay for it of course. I don't know if Nissan can do the road force. Prolly not.

·
Registered
781 Posts
When I was in my overly retentive days - I'd pull the weights off before taking them in to have balanced and remove all the sticky goo left behind. I'd then put them in the back of the other car - have them balanced - and put the wheels back on at home using my socket that is wrapped in electrical tape to avoid scratching the rim (plus its easier to find).

If I was feeling really adventurous - I'd run the lug nuts across the bench polisher.

I think the SE-R is bringing this back out in me. My wife is not so happy.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
GMTURBO43 said:
Don't take it to the dealer. There are shops (I'm a fan of Discount Tire) that can perform this for you.

You'll have to pay for it of course. I don't know if Nissan can do the road force. Prolly not.
My dealer can't do it. I get it done at the shop that changes my winter/summer tires.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts