Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This model came out in 2015, and except for a few tweaks here and there, it hasn't really changed. So if the 2021 remains virtually unchanged, that's going to be 7 model years of the same design.

I feel it's getting pretty dated, and that it's lagging other models in tech and drive train. The Murano should have in excess of 300 HP, and a lot of the newer tech features.

Anyone have any inside information on what is going on? The redesigned Rogue looks very nice. My wife wants a Rogue and I told her to hold off until we see and drive the 2021. A similar redesign of the Murano is very much needed.

·
Registered
2018 Murano SL, Pearl White Midnight Edition
44 Posts
I hope the redesign comes soon. The Murano always seemed to have cutting edge style but you're right, it is getting dated. It still looks much better than the Edge and similar vehicles but the drive train and tech are severely outdated. I hope Nissan's struggling financial situation won't negatively affect the Murano update.

·
Registered
248 Posts
All good things had are and will come to end! The current Gas-powered Murano is no exception. I did post the information regarding the next E-MO while ago. The writing is on the wall.

Even Jeep Wrangler has turned electric!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Agree, batteries have come of age. So much simpler than a complex auto engine, less maintenance.

I have been using Kobalt 80v yard tools for the last couple of years. I can't think of any reason why I would ever go back to gas. I have the mower, trimmer, and multiple attachments. In most cases the power is better than gas, instant torque.

I think I'll always have a soft spot for auto and motorcycle engines though... Especially motorcycle engines. An electric motorcycle seems like it wouldn't be nearly as enjoyable, the sweet exhaust note of the engine is a big part of what makes riding so enjoyable...

But I will never miss cranky lawn mower motors. And I especially won't miss crank smokey smelly 2 cycle weed trimmer motors!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Murano generation 1: 2003 to 2008, Gen 2: 2009 to 2014, Gen 3: 2015 to present. That's six years per cycle. I think the 2019 refresh will drag out this generation at least another year. We will have to wait and see 2021 but I've not seen any information on them. My personal thought is that Nissan is going to keep the current style while it floats the Ariya. If the Ariya sells in sufficient quantities it may end the Murano, if not I would anticipate many shared components and mild styling differences between the Ariya and a gasoline Murano. The Ariya is assuming the top mantle at Nissan but the Murano has held its sales numbers pretty consistently over the years. It is not, however, a volume seller.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I, for one, am not about to buy an electric vehicle. If that's the direction the Murano is going, I'll either keep the one I have or transition to something else when replacement time comes.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I, for one, am not about to buy an electric vehicle. If that's the direction the Murano is going, I'll either keep the one I have or transition to something else when replacement time comes.
I intend to keep my MOSLAWD (pronounced Moselaud) for foreseeable future in the absence of the Act of God. I will buy an electric vehicle as I have seen the writing on the wall. I live in a condo with NO charging infrastructure in the parking area and no plan to have such. I have to move into a single-family home which is my style of living anyway. Buying a condo in FL was the biggest mistake of my life! I avoided others such as getting married and having kids! Just kidding folks, I was not blessed enough to indulge! Peace :)

·
Super Moderator
8,437 Posts
There are a few hybrid vehicles that don't plug in.

My daughter is looking at a new RAV4 Hybrid right now, and it has what I think is a great configuration.

The rear axle in the RAV4 AWD hybrid is electrically driven, and it's powered by the gas engine. No need to find a charger, no range limitations, and the net power output is more than the gas model, so it's about 1.5 seconds faster 0-60. It also gets about 6 MPG more on the highway, rated at about 40 MPG.

I see that as a big advantage, and it would work well in a Murano. I have no interest in a plug-in of any kind, but a hybrid powered by the gas motor solves a couple of major problems - range limitation and needing a charging station.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I my opinion hybrid technology costs too much when new, packs additional components into an already crowded space, and are cost prohibited to maintain when they age... They offer a some benefits, as mentioned, but unless you drive a lot of miles in a city setting I don't think they save you any money due to the the initial cost, additional complexity and long term maintenance costs... Nissan had a hybrid Murano in 2016, but I think they dropped it due to low sales...

·
Registered
780 Posts
No news yet about a redesigned Murano but Pathfinder spy shots are on the web and its Infiniti cousin, the upcoming QX60 Monograph will be announced on Sept 24 on their website. Does it mean the Murano will be redesigned for the 2023 model year or be discontinued, who knows...Nissan has just built their 500,000th Leaf perhaps they want to to continue with the Aryia as pretty much all manufacturers are introducing electric vehicles (Toyota is sticking with their successful hybrids). I wouldn't mind an all electric crossover but they're too expensive for the little driving I do now so I'll stick with gas powered.

·
Registered
321 Posts
If the Murano ends up being discontinued in favor of the Aryia, I'd buy a newer one and keep on going. I'm not a fan of electrics for many of the reasons stated above. As we know from some posters the Murano is available internationally so although it's not a top seller here it does have more production than just the US. Hope that helps keep her alive for another generation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I do not think electrics are there quite yet. They are getting better every year. Still gas for me until I can make it 500 miles without stopping.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I do not think electrics are there quite yet. They are getting better every year. Still gas for me until I can make it 500 miles without stopping.
If you got the money my friend, here an EV covering power and mileage............:)

·
Registered
989 Posts
I hope they use e-brakes in the 2021, tired of that foot brake.
Also hope they redesign the shifter to look more modern.

Check out the redesign Nissan Rogue 2021, they did a really good job redesigning the shifter and introduced e-brakes.

Nissan is always late in the game

1 - 15 of 15 Posts