Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I back out of my garage and turn the wheel left I hear this loud clunk like I hit something or something dropped out. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
33 Posts
hmm. sounds like a cv joint, but isn't it a bit early for that? How many kms? Did you check for the trash can, or a skateboard?:D

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I agree, CV joint (if its not the steering bolt issue). Check your CV boots (there are 4 of them) for cracks. If the CV joint is already clunking/clacking they are worn and should be replaced. Its more cost effective to replace the entire axle halfshaft than just one CV joint or boot.

I'm not sure whether a worn CV joint would be a warranty repair, since the joint normally doesn't go bad on its own without the protective rubber boot around it going bad first. The boot itself is a preventative maintenance item, but usually they do not need to be replaced until high mileage (over 90,000 miles). Once the boot tears (due to rubber fatigue or hitting road debris) the axle grease leaks out and eventually the non-lubricated CV joint enters the throws of death (first clunking, then continuous clacking on turns).

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
andy said:
if there is a problem with a CV joint, will i only hear that driving backwards?
I guess it would depend what is wrong with the CV joint, but generally the answer is no. Anything is possible though. If you can easily reproduce the problem, you should have the dealer look at it.

·
Registered
781 Posts
CV joints will generally 'click' continually. This sounds like a single 'clunk', no?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
GMTURBO43 said:
CV joints will generally 'click' continually. This sounds like a single 'clunk', no?
When they just begin to fail, its usually a single clunk. When they've worn out completely, they go clickity-clack until one day the joint breaks and the car won't move anymore.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
From my experience the first sign of a failed CV joint is a speed-dependent clicking noise heard when the front wheels are turned hard over and the car is accelerating slightly.

-njjoe

·
Registered
781 Posts
Hmm..never heard of them being a loud single clunk.

I'd check to see if you hit something. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this exact problem in my 04'. It ended up being the trunk struts! They wear over time and then clunk when the vehicle is torqued side to side or up and down (over bumps or shapr turns). At first i thought it was the rear hatch latch and then i thought it was tie rod ends.

In the end I ordered OEM Stabilus replacement ones from JC Whittney for $75/each. They list for $139 at the dealer so this is the cheapest you can find. Lots of people have ordered cheaper ones (strong arm) with dissapointing results. Their are lots of posts if you search clunk and rear end noise.

·
Super Moderator
8,767 Posts
Usually if a CV joint is going, you can make it click audibly by going to a parking lot, turning hard left and doing a couple of circles, then right, while having the windows open.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts