Nissan Murano Forum banner

When did you first change your CVT fluid?

• I don't remember when I did it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20,000 miles or less

• 30,000 miles

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • 40,000 miles

• 50,000 miles

• 60,000 miles

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • 70,000 miles

• 80,000 miles or higher

• I don't plan on changing it ever.

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • I am not sure when I am going to do it.

Votes: 24 55.8%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When did you change your CVT fluid the first time?
  • 20,000 miles
  • 30,000 miles
  • 40,000 miles
  • 50,000 miles
  • 60,000 miles
  • 70,000 miles
  • 80,000 miles
  • not sure when
  • don't expect to change it ever

·
5,244 Posts
I have added one more option:
I am not sure when I am going to do it.

I think there will be many MO owners who need this option. I know, I will.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Since not many people have mileage that high, I think the name of the poll might more appropriately be "when do you plan to change your CVT fluid?"

For me, every 30,000 miles.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
I'm going with 45,000 miles. Already done once.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I decided to post this poll becuase I had a pushy service manager telling me that I "HAD" to change it every 30,000 miles according to the service manual. I declined and he was very insistant that I was making a big mistake and "with this new transmission should be more careful". I was thinking of waiting until about 50,000 miles before doing this and wanted to know what everyone else was thinking.

·
5,244 Posts
I just took mine for oil change (I was lazy this time…) – 32,000 miles. The service advisor quickly pointed out that I had missed 30,000 service. It is only $400 – he added. OK, so what needs to be done?
Tire rotation and balance.
I just put new tires…..
Air filter.
I have K&N…
In-cabin microfilter.
I just replaced it myself…..
Hm………..$21.95 please.

I mentioned that I was concern with CVT. He said “CVT’s are maintenance free for life”. Hm, maybe.

Anyway, if dealer insist on 30,000 miles CVT oil change he is looking for easy money.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
The "filled for life" idea is a way for manufacturers to make the car seem more maintenance free. However, most of those claims tend to be exaggerated - how many cars do you know that can really go 105,000 miles on a single set of spark plugs and 120,000 miles on the dexcool coolant?

Its too bad the CVT fluid is so expensive, but I'd rather do a drain and refill every couple years than pay $5000 for a new CVT after the warranty goes out. Contrary to what the dealer will say, the CVT is not a "sealed" unit since there are pressure vents like any normal automatic.

Kris I do agree if the dealer insists on a 30,000 mile CVT interval, thats asking for a boat payment. But I do not think its a bad recommendation.

·
4,601 Posts
I voted for the never change it option, because at my current burn rate, I'll be around 50,000 miles at the end of the lease. What are the chances of Nissan Finance changing it?

Hmmm... Might do it, just help out the next poor guy who buys it. Or leave a note in the owners manual....

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Gonzo said:
Doesn't the manual state 90K...
Technically Nissan's severe duty recommendation is to change the fluid at 60k, and the normal duty recommendation is to inspect it every 15k (but no replacement).

·
Registered
842 Posts
My Dealer said that I do not need to change the CVT oil till 100,000 Km. Which I normally did for my other cars, however as always it would depend how you drive the Mo. The more stress and high operating temperatures may mean you would want to change it out sooner rather than later.

·
4,601 Posts
Yup, 60 Kilomiles or 100 Kilo Kilometres, same thing...

I expect I'll be about to hand mine in at that point, so (jaak knocks on his head) everything will be fine.... Life is good.

If I owned it and was keeping it, I'd change it sooner, just as Preventitive Maintenance and to make sure it had a long, long life.

·
Registered
86 Posts
60000ks

Have not change mine yet, as only done 5500Ks!

Within dealer service intervals book it is listed at 60000Ks; that’s for the Middle East. Guess that’s when it will be done.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Was part of 30k service I had performed by dealer (premium maint schedule).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts