Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often should you change the brake fluid in the Murano? I've read in a few places it's silicon based, so it's not so hydroscopic as traditional brake fluid and won't attract water and as such doesn't need to be changed as much. But should you change it at all? If so when? 30k? 60k? 90k?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Funny manual states nothing about it. I plan on chaning it every 30 -45K... have not decided as I only have 22K on my MO.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't think you need to change fluid unless there is contamination.

The 87 Integra my Murano replaces never had a full brake fluid change. It had 270K miles when I retired it. On 3-4 occasions I changed/rebuilt the calipers, which only required bleeding the air and adding fluid.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Technically it doesn't ever NEED to be changed. However most auto experts recommend it be changed every 2 years or 30,000 miles since brake fluid absorbs water and becomes slightly less effective over time.

I would just have them change it whenever you need your brakes done (which will likely be more than 30,000 miles). If you are a home wrencher like me you can try a performance brake fluid like ATE super blue or Motul 600 - these are premium dot 4 fluids (fully compatible with the dot 3 in the Murano) that resist fade with higher boiling points.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts