Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Does anyone know when to use the gears in the MO?
For example, in my previous vehicles (automatic), whenever I needed a little traction in snow, I used gear 2.
Aside from the D and R, when does one use the other gears in the MO?

Thanks

·
Registered
781 Posts
Well - you certainly don't want to use a lower number when it's slippery. About the only time I use a different gear in the Murano is for engine braking. Sometimes I just do it for the fun of it just because I like RPMs.

Someone had done some 0-60 testing and found the Murano to be quicker when using D instead of Ds or L.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I use them when I want to have some fun. Shift it MO!

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Comming out of a sharp turn onto a straight try this:
In the turn slap her in Ds and stab it on the exit, pedal to the metal.
When she gets to 65 drop it in D and see what she does.
I was amazed.
My sons (11 and 14) usually let out a WOOOHOOOO when I play with the Mo, but with this application of Ds and D, they didn't make a sound. I did notice in the rear view that their eye brows were climbing their foreheads.
It was more like HOLY S%^&!!!!
:D

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
that's awesome. it strange when you have the mo goin in Ds and then you put it back into D and for some reason you get an extra boost of energy. the feeling is amazing. and i love how the engine spools up in Ds. i wonder how all this feels with the manumatic tranny

·
Registered
485 Posts
It doesn't require Ds for that, just romp on the throttle and spool her up towards redline and then lift slightly, as the pullys in the CVT shift ratios to slow the motor down it dumps a bunch of intertia from the motor to the wheels for that extra kick.

Kinda disconcerting at first, but once I got used to it I plan ahead and that's the last little whoosh kick to get to my target speed.:4:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
you know what be cool, if the murano had that wooosh kick all the time. ehh n/m i'm happy as it is.

·
Registered
358 Posts
MM, I learned that one about a week after I got my MO. I was passing a semi on the interstate an noticed the driver behind me was pulling out, too. So I started to let off to let the jerkwad go on and get on down the road.
STARTED to let off. The pullies adjusted and I had to get on into the left lane (or try to go right and kiss the semi's bumper). And watched Mr JW fade in the rearview.
Boss Lady asked me what I had done. I told her that I had just eased up a bit on the throttle.
Tried it a few more times on the trip and fell in love with the MO's way of acting like secondaries kicking in.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Actually there aren't any "Gears" to use. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts