Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to get my instrument cluster panel replaced due to cracks forming by the two "tunnels" of the signal directionals. It will be replaced under warranty.
Anyway, I asked the dealer about the odometer and he didn't know.
I dont think it will, but changing the instrument cluster should not affect my Odometer. Will it??
I dont think Nissan would be that stupid to put the ODO data storage on the cluster itself. Would they???

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I would guess the odometer info is stored in the ECU, which is not in the guage cluster. The dealer can use their special scan tool to set the correct miles on your new guage cluster.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
AH Shucks! :D

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WHAT?

thanks Eric, but if the ODO info is in the ECU, then why would they (the Dealer) need any special tools for the gauge cluster?
I'm just trying to clarify things....thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Re: WHAT?

Boobaba said:
thanks Eric, but if the ODO info is in the ECU, then why would they (the Dealer) need any special tools for the gauge cluster?
My shop manual, which is the same one the dealer uses, does not specify any special tools. In my humble opinion, your dealer is giving you a made up story.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Re: WHAT?

Boobaba said:
I don't know if the 2 are similar, but....

When I had to order a replacement PCM (ECU) for another vehicle that had special programming, I had to provide the VIN and mileage.

Although the mileage would be changed by the time I received it, it was set up with those parameters before it was sent.

This set off a lot of discussion on another forum, and in looking through service and diagnostic manuals, it was revealed that the cluster controller (in this case the controller under the radio in the center console) updates the mileage on the cluster from data it gathers, while the PCM (ECU) keeps a rough account of mileage, within the current cycle of the task manager that defines a "trip"/

By using the scan tool to replace the odometer reading on the new cluster from the old one being replaced, the dealer adheres to mileage reporting regulations, and gives the cluster an accurate starting point.

Again, I don't know if this applies here, but it could be a possible reason that the cluster would have to be set by the dealer after installation.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Not sure on the MO, but on other nissans, the speedo/odo contains the data for the odometer. They come set with mileage from the electronics company. When ordering, the service dept faxes them with mileage/verification info...they set and mail out.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Though I don't know about the MO, on some cars, if you pull the fuse for the instrument cluster (all guages go to off) you won't accumulate miles although it doesn't zero your miles of course. This makes me think the data must be stored locally in the cluster. If it was coming from elsewhere, miles should still accumulate even if not displayed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts