Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read the various threads on how people have mounted their PAC units but most of these are ambitious installs that exceed my ability and willingness to run wiring on the inside of my interior.

So I'm soliciting ideas on simple places to install the unit/wiring.

First off, I will primarily be using the unit to interface my Archos AV420 jukebox (used mainly for MP3s). So this is mainly iPod'ish functionality.

My first though was that I would tape the PAC box to the underside of the head unit where it would be mostly invisible. The wiring for the unit would be squashed in where the head unit meets the dash. Then just plug the RCAs into the exposed jacks for use and remove when I want to reduce the clutter.

Second though was to secure the PAC inside the space behind the head unit, but that would leave me with a dangling wire to be plugged into my player, which wouldn't look all that great when my player was not in use.

For those of you with iPods and the PAC unit, how did you install yours? Any pictures you could post or point me towards?

Essentially what I'm interested in is reducing the amount of external clutter to as little as possible when the MP3 player is not in use. Since there must always be the stereo plug available to be inserted into my MP3 player I can't see a great way of accomplishing this.

My final thoughts are that it would be really nice to install a stereo jack (or 2 probably, one for each of the PAC inputs), perhaps on the underside of the head unit. The jacks would be connected to the RCA inputs of the PAC and then to use one I just plug a dual-ended stereo plug cable, one into the jack and one into the MP3 player. When not in use I unplug the cable(s) and store them away. The jacks would be difficult to detect if you didn't know they were there. Is this feasible? Has anyone done something like this?

Thanks for all input and ideas.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
If you can afford it have it professionally installed and get all you want with much less hassle, Show the installer what needs to be done with reprints of various posts and PAC instructions. GRIP :D

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Dont forget to let us know how much the installer charge you for the pac install...

It is not difficult, but is it worth it to save 1 hr of labor = $50 or spend the $50 and get it right no stress? ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Dont forget to let us know how much the installer charge you for the pac install...

SugarRushMurano said:
It is not difficult, but is it worth it to save 1 hr of labor = $50 or spend the $50 and get it right no stress? ;)
Ah, but where's the fun in that? I see this project as something to get my feet wet with more aggressive upgrades down the line. And there's pride in doing it yourself. :D

Plus having a shop do it -- that just adds stress in my view. I can guarantee you I'll take more care in the install than a 3rd party.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you're wondering where to locate it..I snuck the wires out of the back of the trim that snaps back in place underneath the radio, then Velcro'd the PAC to that. It's barely visible there but gives you easy access to the jacks.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Oh it is so not worth it to have it professionally installed. I did mine in an hour or so, and that was being very slow and careful.

I used high strength double sided mounting tape and just taped it to the back of the head unit. Make sure to test clearance with the audio cables attached before actually sticking it on.

I routed the wires out from under the drivers side footwell area, near the accelerator pedal. A little black electrical tape to keep it flush and its pretty much invisible.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Putting the PAC in back by the Bose amp was motivated as I have an 04 AND I did not want to remove the radio head unit. I have the cable extensions from the Ipod and XM Roady2 routed and plugged into the PAC inputs. Total time at least 2/3 hours, lots of cuts, splices, etc. I am a retired ME/EE and it was not technically changeling BUT JAAK was the brains behind it for me and know what goes where. "Final Choice" as they say got to a good pro.

Take the time you save and VOTE! GRIP :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts