Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one out there know where I can purchase a set of 4 snow tires for the murano? Which is the best brand to buy?

I have been to a number of tire retailers and they do not have the size required: 235/65/18.

Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
418 Posts
18" snow tires tough to find. My recommendation would be Bridgestone Dueler DM-Z3. The closest size to stock is 265x60x18. I have this size in an all season tire and they fit great. The Duelers are listed at $249.99 each on 1010tires.com

·
Registered
180 Posts
Actually, Dunlop (now a bastard child of Goodyear) has come out with a Grantrek SJ5 winter tire in the exact size for the MO -- 235/65R18. Dunlop doesn't even list it in their product info on their website, but a few Nissan dealers can get them in. I think some of the Canadians on this site have had them installed around the Ottawa and Montreal areas and have so far been pleased. I think the cost was around $160 per tire.

Also, Nokian makes the Hakka SUV winter tire in a size that's VERY close to the MO's size. It's 235/60R18. This makes the difference about 3.1%, resulting in a speedo difference of 3.7 km/h at 120 km/h (that is, when your speedo says you're doing 120, you're really only 116.3 -- big deal). The reviews and testimonials I've read on Nokians say they're nothing short of spectacular. Unfortunately, they're not widely available like Michelins, BStones, GYears, etc etc but they are available. There are a couple of retailers in Ottawa, though I found an excellent customizing shop here in town that can get them SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper ($265 per tire) than the quotes I received from Ottawa (about $60 cheaper per tire). Also, Nokian's level of production isn't like Goodyear's, so they frequently run out of stock on certain tires, given their increasing popularity.

Barring any new developments from the other manufacturers, and given my overwhelming level of disdain for Goodyear/Dunlop, I'll be ordering a set of the Nokians this coming summer/fall for next winter.

For info, the website below is an excellent, small independant site devoted to testing winter tires. It's a small operation so the scope is often limited but the info is excellent and unbiased. Hopefully, they'll have the latest test results up soon.

www.snowtire.info

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
senza and the canuck,

Thanks a lot for the info. I am glad to know that there are some options out there.

I am bent on having the snow tires for next winter. These all seasons ones provided on the Murano just don't cut it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Several reasons. Did you know when the temps get below -15 your 4 season tire is useless since the rubber compound freezes and it comparable to leather soled shoes? I did a side by side comparison in a snow storm with the stockers and then the Grand Trek SJ5. No comparison, night and day. If you want to believe that 4 seasons tires are just as good that's your problem but please do not lead others to believe the same, It is far from true. Here in Quebec they are talking about making it law to use winter tires because of the crash statistics with 4 season tires.

·
Registered
78 Posts
snow tires

Actually its NOT a problem./ I spent 9 years La baie des Ha Ha and used all season radials .......tabernack!

Learn to drive....its -30C down here in Oakville half the season...NO PROBLEMS!

·
Registered
418 Posts
A good quality snow tire provides a lot better traction then an all season tire...nothing to do with driving skill...

·
Registered
78 Posts
snow tires

I agree........but who REALLY needs snow tires..come on people 38 years in Canada...no snows...no accidents...no problems....be realistic

·
Registered
14 Posts
agree........but who REALLY needs snow tires..come on people 38 years in Canada...no snows...no accidents...no problems....be realistic

You're the "other driver" we should all worry about. The oncoming vehicle with a badly equipped car - all season radials at -25C - on a dark road at night, hitting black ice and careening across the centre line and causing a head-on collision.

The statement "who REALLY needs snow tires" tells it all. It reveals a lack of knowledge about the deficiencies of "all season" tires in winter and the benefits of modern winter/ice tire technology. This is a matter of fact, not opinion and is not open for dispute amongst the informed. Your statement appears rooted in the state of knowledge of ... well, 38 years ago. In other words - outdated.

The issue of the deficiencies of all season tires in Canadian winters was recently brought to the front pages by a Quebec corroner's report on a fatal accident. The accident was attributed in large part to the fact that the vehicle did not have winter tires. The report recomended that winter tires be made mandatory in the province of Quebec. In my view they should be mandatory in all provinces.

I have been driving for almost 35 years and have always equipped my car with winter tires on all 4 wheels. I currently have the Nokean's installed on my Murano - studded. Over Christmas I drove from Edmonton to Winnipeg and back. Western Manitoba experienced freezing rain over that period, followed by a blizzard and cold temperatures. Road conditions on the return trip were abysmal, with many accidents and vehicles in the ditch but the Murano was as solid as a rock on the road. I would highly recommend the Nokians they are one of the best winter tires around.

NissanFan

·
Registered
203 Posts
I was'nt going to bother answering pat's last post but you took the words out of my mouth. Glad to see others have some common sense too.

·
4,664 Posts
Something else to consider as well...

Oakville, (Otherwise known as Toronto, once you get more than about 500 miles away) doesn't get the same brutally cold temperatures regularly as do many other parts of the country. I've been in Toronto or the surrounding areas, driving for almost 30 years (not continuously, I do work, sleep, eat, etc.) and not had a real need for snows.

However, when I visit other places and it's much colder (as noted above) it does make a big difference to have snows.

The Greater Toronto Area benefits from good plowing and lots of traffic (is that a benefit?) so the roads are usually pretty good.

Although I must say , the MO's better than most cars, in the deep stuff. I think the AWD and ground clearance are factors there....

I've yet to have a need for snows, but I'd get them in a second if I lived where the rest of you guys are!

·
Registered
78 Posts
snow tires

Hey "Nissan Fan" Its makes no difference weather you have snows or radials on BLACK ICE.

Where you from?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Pat you need to get yourself a snow/ice tire and then make comments. Your opinions are unfounded, period. They do make ice tires which substantially improve adhearance in ice conditions without the studs, however, you simply cannot outperform studs in icy conditions. The Grand treks are a snow/ice tire and do extremely well on ice, wereas your stockers are useless in comparison. I wish we lived close together because we could swap and only then would you really understand how wrong you are.

·
Registered
78 Posts
snow tires

Im NOT saying that snow tires do not improve your winter driving. What Im tryimg to say is do you REALLY need them.Period.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Pat...."need" is a subjective word...the extra traction/control (safety factor)provided by the newer snow/ice tires is amazing...if you had the opportunity to drive a Murano with them on you may still decide you don't "need them" but I bet you would sure want them.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I think Pat from oakville sounds like what his Avatar depicts.

So my question is: did you get your Nokian in the OEM size, and how much did you pay? Are you using separate rims?

Thanks

NissanFan said:

You're the "other driver" we should all worry about. The oncoming vehicle with a badly equipped car - all season radials at -25C - on a dark road at night, hitting black ice and careening across the centre line and causing a head-on collision.

The statement "who REALLY needs snow tires" tells it all. It reveals a lack of knowledge about the deficiencies of "all season" tires in winter and the benefits of modern winter/ice tire technology. This is a matter of fact, not opinion and is not open for dispute amongst the informed. Your statement appears rooted in the state of knowledge of ... well, 38 years ago. In other words - outdated.

The issue of the deficiencies of all season tires in Canadian winters was recently brought to the front pages by a Quebec corroner's report on a fatal accident. The accident was attributed in large part to the fact that the vehicle did not have winter tires. The report recomended that winter tires be made mandatory in the province of Quebec. In my view they should be mandatory in all provinces.

I have been driving for almost 35 years and have always equipped my car with winter tires on all 4 wheels. I currently have the Nokean's installed on my Murano - studded. Over Christmas I drove from Edmonton to Winnipeg and back. Western Manitoba experienced freezing rain over that period, followed by a blizzard and cold temperatures. Road conditions on the return trip were abysmal, with many accidents and vehicles in the ditch but the Murano was as solid as a rock on the road. I would highly recommend the Nokians they are one of the best winter tires around.

NissanFan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts