Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After lurking here and shopping for a MO for several months, something finally sunk in. I am planning to take a job offshore at the end of next year, and shouldn't really buy a new car right now.

Duh. What I really need is a used car that would hold me over for about 12 months, which could then be sold without taking a terrible bath on the resale.

Which brings me to the point of this post. Where would you look for a used MO at a reasonable price?

I have looked at some of the on-line re-sellers, and they are mostly a joke. Most of the MOs there are advertised for OVER INVOICE, which as everyone who follows this forum knows, is a joke for a new MO, let alone a used one.

So where would you look for a reasonably priced used MO? I am looking for something for a minimum of 5K under invoice, non-smoker, no accidents, and pristine condition. Am I being un-reasonable??

Your advice (or a reality check) greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
The Murano is pretty new now, and I doubt a Nissan dealer will give you a good price on one. Maybe check the luxury makes like Lexus or BMW. Someone might have traded in their Murano for an RX330 or X5. One problem is that dealers think their customers are idiots - they will try to sell a "2003" Murano as "brand new" even though in many cases the model year doesn't tell you anything - many 2003's are built and sold in 2002.

·
Registered
400 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tried them both. Most of the listings are dealer listings aimed at buyers that don't have a clue. There is only one listing within 300/500 miles of where I live that is anywhere near reasonable, and that one is asking $1.5K less than I could buy new, with 10K miles on it.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Aren't we ridiculous?
(I count myself in this crowd)
We want to buy a car that retians its value but we complain about a car that is 1.5K less than new.

We do the same thing when we buy new.
We again want a car that will retian its value, but we want the dealer to discount it heavily.

I guess we are all crazy.

Homer

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is ridiculous are the dealers that are trying to sell used cars for more than a new one can be bought for. They are preying on people who think they will get a good deal on a car just because they found it on the Internet.

People don't realize how low prices for new MOs have gone. If you walk into any dealer in my area and offer them $1K below invoice they will take the deal in a heartbeat.

Still, people (not just dealers) are advertising used cars for over invoice.

I guess some buyers just don't shop around.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Keep in mind that negotiation on a used car is far more than on a new one.

Regardless of what the dealer is asking for the used one, if people are buying new ones for 1000 below invoice (which they are) you can use that as a place to bargain from. Ignore the used car dealer's asking price and make an offer for what you think is fair. They will undoubtedly come back at you with a ridiculous counteroffer, then get up and walk away. If they don't come running after you, your offer was below what the current market can bear. This is how you test the elasticity of the used Murano market, not online advertised prices.
Good luck! :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
I bought mine off an Infiniti dealer in mid-March, who advertised on Autotrader.com.

Note that the price listed should be very negotiable. I knocked $1500 off advertised price without any real haggling.

Should have give them a low-ball offer I guess... ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts