Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up a Murano this weekend, but I am not getting the Bose 'premium' sound because of financial situations and the poor reviews from this board. I have thoroughly read through almost every single thread in this section and some in others.

So, I see that the non-bose MO has 6x9's in the front unlike the 5 and change rounds of the Bose. Is this correct?

Where is the amp and sub for the Bose system in the MO? Can I stick an aftermarket sub in the Bose sub spot?

My plan is to change the speakers and add two amps to the vehicle with a sub in the back somewhere, but hidden or at least not easily accessible because the back of the murano will contain my two dogs (large Boxers) on occassion. I also may put the rubber mat in the back so I may not be able to put one underneath that area if there is room under it.

I see alot of suggestions of speakers from you guys and a few large boxs of sub's in the trunk area. Are there any simple and not extremely expensive solutions?
Jason

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
1.Sub in the spare.
2. 6.5 not 5 and change
3. Others for new system suggestions.
4. Amp in front of spare on ledge to right side of center. ( wireing probably still there)

Grip :D

·
4,994 Posts
No.

In the middle of the Spare is pretty hard to mislocate. On the ledge directly in front of the spare on the right , well just look.

GRIP :D

·
4,601 Posts
Looks like the picture below if you have a Canadian Murano (full size spare with same wheel as what's outside) or a little lower with a steel rim if you have a US model (so the tray can fit on top).

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
I am in the same boat as the OP.

I have already ordered infiinty references for my wifes' Mo S 6x9 3 way for the front and 6.5 2 way for the rear.

It looks as though I can mount speakers in the dash (it has carpetted panels on the sides).

Is my assumption correct and if so, what size speakers fit there (I may mount tweeters if the three ways arent too sharp already).

I have considered and reconsidered what to do for the sub. My wife loved her old bass tube, which surprsed me. I dispise Bose as well. So, I am debating whether to fiberglass a custom 8 or 10" sub above the wheel well, or consider soemthing else.

My wife and I both want to maximize our cargo area. We bought the Mo for it, as my Z with the 12" sub cant fit a pack of toilet paper.

I will take a close look at the amp area this weekend, but does the non-Bose have an amp there? Can it be replaced (and removed)? And is the area likely large enuogh to fit a 5 or 6 channel amp?

Also, with the non-Bose will I need a PAC?

Oh, and one more, if I were to find the NAV system or Bose head unit, etc, on ebay or at a junk yard, can I put the higher end system in her Mo? I love the color screen (but really couldnt afford the more expensive Mos.)

·
4,601 Posts
Amp location, viewed from behind. There are two clips removed from the flap in front of where the spare sits, so it can be lifted to view this. You can also see it if you fold down the right rear seat and lift up the flap on the back of it and peer underneath.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Wow, no offense but that sub is sort of a joke.

·
Registered
629 Posts
ZBoy said:
Wow, no offense but that sub is sort of a joke.
It actually isn't THAT bad considering its size. It's definately not going to perform like a high end 12" sub with 1.5 cubic feet of air... but considering what they had to work with in terms of space... *shrug*

·
4,994 Posts
See right where I said it was. And It sounds great, More Bass that I know what to do with. As a matter of fact with the new sub separate amp I have to turn it down. GRIP :D

·
Registered
128 Posts
Interesting... it just seems to me that the 6x9s up front would produce better and more bass...

but I guess I am biased againts Bose...

·
4,994 Posts
So am I but I let my ears do the talking and my fingers do the walking. (here on the keyboard that is). GRIP :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok,
Everyone thanks for such quick replies and such thorough replies, Gripe I appreciate your input including the humor, I think.

So, the Bose sub is in the spare. Is that a pic of the bose sub? How is it mounted? If it isn't the bose, what is it? Definitely interesting looking.

I am also assuming the pic of the amp is of the OEM location for the bose amp.

And I am correct that a std stereo has 6x9's up front and the Bose premium has 6.5's?

I will hopefully be picking it up before this weekend. The bare Murano will seem like a luxury car compared to the Jeep CJ7's and early 90's Toyota pick up I have been driving.

Thanks again.
Jason

·
4,994 Posts
Jason

You are right about one thing "Sometime it is Gripe not Grip" :eek: :2: :2: :2:

GRIP :D

·
Registered
128 Posts
GripperDon said:
So am I but I let my ears do the talking and my fingers do the walking. (here on the keyboard that is). GRIP :D
You are exactly correct, its just been my experience that you cant make up for a small driver by using a long port. You end up with too many peaks and dips... I have heard Bose subs before and they get loud for their size, but only at certain points.

Still, you cant argue with the location and size... my alternatives are not functionally as good as the Bose...

Unless I can fiberglass soemthing to fit in the wheel.... ugh.. what a pain.

I have been thinking of the Inifnity basslink, that might be the simplest answer

·
4,601 Posts
Yes, the sub is a joke, but that's the tragic, er I mean magic of Bose. Taking inexpensive speakers and engineering things to get mediocre sound out of them.

For what it is, it works very well. I can hear where it rolls off at the bottom end, but it's still very good for what it is.

To me, a Sub Woofer is one that will go to frequencies I can't hear, but can feel. The Bose "Sub" is not a sub at all, but the term has been corrupted for years as there's lots of "sub"s out there that aren't.

It's a woofer and for what it is, it's decent. I have a pair of 12's in a box with an amp, that I connect in parallel, when I really want a sub. Ideally a single 15 would be nicer, but hey, I had the 12's.

So it works a lot better than it looks, but not quite as well as you'd want, if you know the difference. But not many OEM car systems do.

·
4,994 Posts
Do the search that's been done and in here. GRIP :D

·
Registered
128 Posts
GripperDon said:
Do the search that's been done and in here. GRIP :D
Thanks Grip, Ill do that... My wife really doesnt need more bass than that I think.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts