Nissan Murano Forum banner

Which gas Oct did you last fill up with?

• Premium

Votes: 110 46.0%
  • Plus

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • Regular

Votes: 73 30.5%
  • Mix it up, each time I fill it up

Votes: 18 7.5%

• Total voters
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thread ressurection!

I switched to Premium because regular made the engine clatter.
Sounded like valvetrain slapping....effect of low octane gas....went away with premium....sigh I wish I could use cheaper gas since I am only gettin 13-15 MPG.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
powerglide, are you light on the gas? You MPG might improve if you can keep the RPMs below 2K. I know you have short commute. Thats gonna hurt. Be sure to do frequent oil changes.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Gonzo said:
powerglide, are you light on the gas? You MPG might improve if you can keep the RPMs below 2K. I know you have short commute. Thats gonna hurt. Be sure to do frequent oil changes.
I try to be light on the gas and I see improvements if I am SUPER slow and careful....but it only improves to 14.8-15.5 so I just drive normally and stomach the 13-14 mpg....really crappy but I tell myself imagine if I had gotten a Chevy Tahoe or something...
My car just passed 6 months since new and my oil change meter has still more than half left....

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
Change it.

If you are doing that short of a commute, there is no way the oil in your crankcase can get hot enough, for long enough, to outgas fuels and moisture. That short of a commute can be deadly to a lot of things like the exhaust system and battery.

I get an overall mileage of 21-22 consistently and I drive the hell out of her. 80 on the freeway when I can and a lot of spirited leaves at lights. Anyone who experiances my Mo in traffic has a good respect for her power and handling.

Pull the dip stick and smell it. If it has any hint of gasoline, change it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here in Finland i use 98 octane.
And it`s cost about 1.78€ / liter now in 17.09.2012

Lowest quality here is 95 octane.
95 cost about 1.74€ / liter now.

There is no premium, plus or regular gasoline. Only 95 or 98 gasoline.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Here in Finland i use 98 octane.
And it`s cost about 1.78€ / liter now in 17.09.2012

Lowest quality here is 95 octane.
95 cost about 1.74€ / liter now.

There is no premium, plus or regular gasoline. Only 95 or 98 gasoline.
What you are reporting is research octane (RON), not the anti-knock index. See the chart here for a rough conversion.

Octane rating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
OK.
I don`t know that.
So Finnish 95 is about USA 85-86 octane.
And Finnish 98 is about USA 89- 90 octane.

i learn something new now :eek:
In the USA, the "octane rating" at the pump is actually the AKI, which is the average of the RON and MON, neither of which number is reported on the actual pump, just the AKI number.

Depending on where one lives in the USA, the typical octanes available are 87-89-93. In some Western states, the highest AKI is 91. In some mountainous areas with high elevation (and less atmospheric pressure), the octane rating is lower, 85 or 86.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts