Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Read a lot of posts on the headlight bulbs, but quite a few are from 2015/16 so wanted to see if opinions have changed since then.

My driver side low-beam bulb just burned out so will need to replace it (ironically enough, I just read a story where you should not touch the headlight casing because the oil from your fingers can cause the casing to heat up burning the bulb and just morning I had touched the casing... coincidence???). From the older posts it seems to stick with a halogen bulb but that was 6 years ago and technology changes.

There are two bulbs I'm looking at from Amazon Canada. I saw that CanadianTire has bulbs but have read that the Sylvania bulbs have a shorter lifespan but if shorter is 3yrs vs 4yrs or 4yrs vs 5yrs then I'm not too concerned about that.

These are the bulbs I'm looking at from Amazon:

Philips 12362CVB2 H11 CrystalVision Ultra Upgrade Headlight Bulb, 2 Pack
16000 Ratings - 4 Stars
$50.46 + taxes

OR

SEALIGHT H11/H8/H9 LED Headlight Bulb, Laxmas L2 Series Low Beam/Fog Light, 360-degree Illumination, with Cooling Fan, 6000K Daylight Effect, 400% Brightness, Pack of 2
2100 Ratings - 4.5 Stars
$59.99 + taxes

The second one seems like a Chinese brand but has a lot of seemingly good reviews but of course no way to know if they are all legitimate. The Sealight bulb also says that it has a built in fan.

I could go with the Sealight and try it out and if it dies within 30 days I can return to Amazon as defective.

Would love to hear opinions on either of these bulbs.

Second - when I read the instruction manual, it indicates that you need to remove the headlight housing. Is this correct? If so, how much work is it to take this apart?

·
Registered
395 Posts
You are mixing apples and oranges!!!. Your Murano came with non-led bulbs and that is what you should replace the burnt out bulb with. For halogen bulbs such as the ChrystalVision, it is correct to say that touching the glass bulb, not the casing, can lead to premature failure.
Assuming your '15SL is the same as my '18SL you should be able to simply remove the bulb and change it for a new one. Should be no need to remove the entire headlight housing assembly.
I would also suggest changing both drivers side and passenger side bulbs to ensure equal light output on both sides.

Reactions: mos2009murano

·
Super Moderator
1,595 Posts
I'm a firm believer in LED headlighting.

That said, unless you've had experience swapping out halogen headlights to LEDs, stay with the halogen.

Now, if you've done this before, the LEDs you chosen will throw some superior light, over the stock halogen bulbs. The main issue with installing LED bulbs is replicating halogen filament output pattern. The one's that you've chosen have pretty much become the standard in LED placement, replicating the halogen output, IF installed correctly.

Depending on the reflective housing, the tip of the LED needs to set straight up at 0 degrees, or rotated 90 degrees. Being off by one degree will cause dark spots and could blind oncoming traffic.

Find a white wall and take a picture in the dark with your existing headlights on low beam, so that you know what the current light pattern is. If going with the LEDs, you'll need to rotate the LED bulb, if the light pattern is off when first installed.

On another note, currently, replacement LED bulbs are not DOT (Department of Transportation) approved for any vehicle on public roads. That being said, there's no Headlight Police out looking for people who've swapped to LED headlight bulbs. However, if not installed correctly and you end up blinding oncoming traffic, you could get pulled over and subjected to a ticket/inspection.

Several Murano owners here on the forum have swapped to LEDs. Maybe one of them will chime in on their experience with them.

Good luck.

Have a good day.

·
Administrator
9,655 Posts
And as often noted, don't touch the glass part of the lamp with your bare fingers - oil from the fingers will cause the glass to fail. Wear gloves.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your feedback.

I did but the regular halogen bulbs, and one set of LED both from Amazon (gotta love same day or one day delivery).

Didn't get a chance to swap them today, but will do so later this week.

DOT: hmm, I wonder what police in Canada (BC) think about them. Years ago I did replace my bulbs on an old car with blue bulbs and got a $80 ticket.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I replaced the halogens in my wife's 2014 SL with Auxito LED's. Interstingly enough, they have little cooling fans mounted to the rear. These lights are an awesome improvement in night vision, especially for us old farts. I did not know that they weren't approved by the DOT but with all the LED's these days it would be a long-shot that you'd get caught. They should be adjusted if needed. Mine worked perfectly as installed. They are a direct replacement; no need for adapters or any nonsense like that. I highly recommend them!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So I did go with the LEDs from Amazon - here are pictures of what I bought. I'll upload pictures to the same album showing the lights (taken in my garage).

The bulbs I bought also have a built in fan on them.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I replaced the halogens in my wife's 2014 SL with Auxito LED's. Interstingly enough, they have little cooling fans mounted to the rear. These lights are an awesome improvement in night vision, especially for us old farts. I did not know that they weren't approved by the DOT but with all the LED's these days it would be a long-shot that you'd get caught. They should be adjusted if needed. Mine worked perfectly as installed. They are a direct replacement; no need for adapters or any nonsense like that. I highly recommend them!
I installed mine just a little while ago; it was still bright outside so didn't get a chance to really test them out but have to go out tomorrow evening so will see how they perform.

Yup - I hear ya, the original bulbs are good but not the best at night and we get A LOT of rain here (typically 4-6 months during the winter) so wanted something better

I don't think I'll need to adjust mine - but if I get a lot of drivers flashing their high beams at me, then I may need to.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I installed mine just a little while ago; it was still bright outside so didn't get a chance to really test them out but have to go out tomorrow evening so will see how they perform.

Yup - I hear ya, the original bulbs are good but not the best at night and we get A LOT of rain here (typically 4-6 months during the winter) so wanted something better

I don't think I'll need to adjust mine - but if I get a lot of drivers flashing their high beams at me, then I may need to.
So I've been using the bulbs I bought off of Amazon (Fahren) for about 2 months now and am not disappointed in them.

I had to drive along a very dark area a few days ago and the lights worked perfectly, nice and bright and much better than the regular bulbs.

I had to replace the bulb on my son's 2005 Corolla and bought the same bulbs - was not disappointed.

Reactions: PaulDay
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.