Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide between what looks like ~200 for an aftermarket hitch (hidden or draw-tite were both less than 200 online if the web site vehicle selectors were right), and the dealer wants 500+ for the Nissan hitch, harness, and bumper reenforcment.

The *only* thing I plan on doing with my hitch in the forseeable future is attaching my hitch mount bike rack to drag mountain bikes up to the trails..

Has anyone compared the factory hitch to the aftermarket hitches on vehicle? I've read every hitch related post I can find here and at FA, and I'm not seeing anything to really help me understand why Nissan's hitch might be worth 2-3x the price - especially when they're all bolt-on.

Anyone have any words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Words of wisdom?

Yeah sure, don't take any wooden nickels, don't count your chickens before they hatch, don't believe anything you hear and half of what you read...

:D

If you've read everything at FA and here, not sure there's not much to add. Buy whatever tickles your fancy.

They are all good hitches and you can find adapters for either Class II (1.25" tube - Nissan) or Class III (2" - Drawtite and Hiddenhitch) if you look hard enough. Class III is more prevalent though.

The MO's max tow capacity (3500 lbs) is at the top end of the Class II and bottom end of the Class III rating. Just because you install a 2" hitch which is normaly Class III doesn't mean you can tow more than Class II. And, there is a lot more to the tow rating of the hitch itself than just the receiver size, such as bolts, strength of frame etc. And then there is the MO itself. More than just the CVT there is the suspension, cooling and "frame" capacities. In other words, they are all Class II when installed on the MO for a multitude of reasons.

If you have a trailer store nearby you, like an RV dealer or U-Haul. Go poke around the store and look at what's available for 1.25" versus 2". If you have a lot of 2" stuff already, then you'll probably want the aftermarket hitches.

Some also like the aftermarket hitches because they hide the muffler better.

Personally, I'm going with the Nissan hitch even though I already have 2" receivers on my Jeep Cherokee and Dodge PU and the related ancillary stuff. I just like the OEM look and would not consider towing more than the MO is rated for.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Nissan hitch is 1.25"? That's probably reason enough for me to go aftermarket - I want to be able to use the stuff I bought for my pathfinder, and loan stuff to my brother to use with his MDX.. both of those have 2" receivers.

The dealer assured me that the nissan hitch was 2", but we all know how much we can rely on their information...

Thanks much for the input (On this, and all your other informative posts!)

-tkris

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think HH for MO only has Class II hitch, so will be 1.25" receiver. Draw-tite has a 2" receiver. I just installed one today, you can view the photos at:
Member Gallery

I debated for a long time whether to go HH or Drawtite, there's definitely many HH owners in this forum. But I like the accessories and some bike racks only use 2" receiver; also the pricing is very comparable between HH and Drawtite. I am happy with the result.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for posting pictures!
Now if someone out there with a factory hitch would post a picture..
I think that's the only one I haven't seen yet.

I like your two-tone seats... very nice effect. Did you post details on that mod? I have a silver mo too, but I doubt I'd be brave enough to try and copy you.. :) It's just curiosity asking.

-tkris

·
Registered
255 Posts
Well it doesn't like the Nissan hitch shown in the pictures on the link posted by Enforcer are concealed more than the Draw-Tite or the Hidden Hitch. Just looks like the bar accross the bottom is not as wide.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So the dealer quoted 2 hours to install.. it took me a little over 4 hours.. maybe the $200 install would have been worth it!

I went with the Nissan hitch after all.. after seeing the images of the others installed, I decided the "factory" look was worth the extra $$.

I was going to take pictures and document everything, but the instructions that came with the hitch and harness were very detailed and had color photos when it mattered.. and then I saw that Enforcer beat me to posting pictures anyways.. :)

Now if only I had already ordered my SAT kit so I could have done some of the wireing at the same time...

-tkris

·
Registered
38 Posts
Picked up the Nissan hitch on Friday. The instruction sheet that came with it looked good. Although I'm pretty good with a wrench, the installation looked more involved than what I was expecting. I think I'm going to have the dealer install it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hitch

I had the draw tite hitch installed, it's a little beefier but has the 2" receiver, all the others have the 11/4" receiver, it also has a 350lb tongue weight vs: 300 for the others. I think it looks fine. Joe

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ok guys so I am debating whether to get the Nissan Hitch or the Drawtite Hitch. They both have 2" recievers.

I've seen the pics with the Nissan hitch installed by enforcer, does anyone have have pics with the Drawtite Hitch installed that you could email me?

Thanks!

-Flip

·
Registered
16 Posts
Make sure that the Nissan hitch is a 2", I was told that it is a 1-1/4" I will send you a pic of the hitch, haven't taken one yet but will in AM. I can tell you that the Nissan hitch is hidden better, but the Draw Tite hitch covers the rear muffler.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Joe thanks for the reply. I have confirmed that the Nissan OEM hitch IS a 2" hitch. Just wanted to see pics of the Drawtite alternative considering its a lot cheaper! :D

If you could post or email pics of your installation that would be great!

BTW, did you install it yourself?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I installed my OE Nissan hitch last weekend. It looks and fits great! No "bar" under the rear bumper between exhaust pipes. I am very happy with it!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts