Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 Nissan Murano SL that I am going to buy an extended warranty for. Setting aside the pros and cons of doing so can anyone recommend a dealer that the they have purchased one through and what terms/price they received? Thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
2019 Platinum 2WD White
34 Posts
You can negotiate the price. Dealers will try to inflate the price just like they do making the deal when buying the car. I refused the first two prices for the top Nissan warranty. Using my Costco account the price came down to what I thought was fair. I wouldn't recommend a third party as too many problems with claims reported.

·
Administrator
9,763 Posts
Yes, there's dealer commission in the price of the warranty, and dealers will settle for different amounts. I've found some online discussions of this relative to Nissans; might be worth a Google search or two.

To me it only makes sense to buy an extended warranty if there are parts of the vehicle you are concerned may fail. Make sure that the warranty covers the failure of whatever parts you are concerned about.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I have a 2020 Nissan Murano SL that I am going to buy an extended warranty for. Setting aside the pros and cons of doing so can anyone recommend a dealer that the they have purchased one through and what terms/price they received? Thank you all in advance.
Check out this thread:

·
Registered
6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
This dealer here is selling plans for a very good price: Nissan Extended Warranty -Security+Plus Purchase Information
That is where I got mine. I got in on my 2006 and again on my 2020. I skipped it on the 14, which my son now drives. We did use it on the 2006, I forget on exactly what, but just enough to break even I think. (the seat rails maybe?) The 14 might not have used it even if I'd gotten in as I think I usually get the 7yr/72 k miles and it is right about there now. The 20 has more tech with all the cameras/sensors and more stuff being integrated with the touchscreen, so I thought it would be a wise move. Nissan of Santa Rosa lets you make payments with zero interest for a year. (at least they did as of last year).

·
Registered
6 Posts
That is where I got mine. I got in on my 2006 and again on my 2020. I skipped it on the 14, which my son now drives. We did use it on the 2006, I forget on exactly what, but just enough to break even I think. (the seat rails maybe?) The 14 might not have used it even if I'd gotten in as I think I usually get the 7yr/72 k miles and it is right about there now. The 20 has more tech with all the cameras/sensors and more stuff being integrated with the touchscreen, so I thought it would be a wise move. Nissan of Santa Rosa lets you make payments with zero interest for a year. (at least they did as of last year).

Yeah, they've been selling them for years! It's definitely a good price and they still make a profit on them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
And yet ,most dealers won't budge on them. (pre covid- don't know about now when they make so much by selling above msrp). I did buy my 2020 from a dealer an hour away from me and they offered a decent price on it. They mentioned that they weren't making a lot on it and were trying to sell volume to make the $. I knew the CA one was even cheaper though and i wasn't ready to buy it on day one. I also think they were only offering the good price if I bought it on the day I bought the car. Back in 2008, when I was ready to buy the warranty, I went in to my dealer and told them about the price I had found. They refused to admit that it could be a true price and STILL wouldn't come down even when I told them I would buy it from them for that price, or even a teensy bit more. Really pissed me off that they wouldn't admit their markup and tried to act like a cheaper price was impossible. Sorry guys, I wasn't born yesterday and had done my homework.

·
Registered
6 Posts
And yet ,most dealers won't budge on them. (pre covid- don't know about now when they make so much by selling above msrp). I did buy my 2020 from a dealer an hour away from me and they offered a decent price on it. They mentioned that they weren't making a lot on it and were trying to sell volume to make the $. I knew the CA one was even cheaper though and i wasn't ready to buy it on day one. I also think they were only offering the good price if I bought it on the day I bought the car. Back in 2008, when I was ready to buy the warranty, I went in to my dealer and told them about the price I had found. They refused to admit that it could be a true price and STILL wouldn't come down even when I told them I would buy it from them for that price, or even a teensy bit more. Really pissed me off that they wouldn't admit their markup and tried to act like a cheaper price was impossible. Sorry guys, I wasn't born yesterday and had done my homework.
You did the right thing. You have to protect your money or the dealership will snatch it right out of your hand. It's their loss if you're willing to buy it, but not willing to pay their high markup...

·
Administrator
9,763 Posts
Back in 2008, when I was ready to buy the warranty, I went in to my dealer and told them about the price I had found. They refused to admit that it could be a true price and STILL wouldn't come down even when I told them I would buy it from them for that price, or even a teensy bit more.
I'm always amazed by businesses that won't accept a lower profit level on a product that has no overhead for them when the opportunity is presented.

They decided they'd rather have100% of nothing than 50% of something. Makes no sense to me.

Reactions: MuranoSL2003

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm always amazed by businesses that won't accept a lower profit level on a product that has no overhead for them when the opportunity is presented.

They decided they'd rather have100% of nothing than 50% of something. Makes no sense to me.
Because they feel if they did that, you wouldn't see the value in the product they're trying to sell you. Two years ago, I went with a friend to purchase a new Honda Insight, and the dealer was trying to sell her an aftermarket service plan on her brand new car for $3,500! I asked the F&I lady for a brochure then asked the price again, and once she told me that, I said no, we would purchase it elsewhere. She said, "Do you not see value in this product?" I told her I see the value, but I also see the profit you're making on this product. She then offered the Honda branded service plan for a little less than half of the cost of the aftermarket plan. We ended up getting that instead, but the depths to which dealers will sink to sell inflated-priced products is crazy! They barely wanted to negotiate the price of the car. They looked at me like I was crazy when I told them we weren't paying that dealer processing charge. That alone is a moneygrab!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts