Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

i plan on changing the engine oil + oil filter myself, simply because i don't trust mechanics out there.

most of the auto parts stores carry FRAM oil filters. FRAM oil filters, in turn, come in different modifications:

- Extra Guard® Filter
- Tough Guard® Filter
- Double Guard® Filter

FRAM website is here.

which one will work best in MO?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Use the factory OEM oil filter. The reputation of Fram filters is not very good based on several studies.

·
5,244 Posts
I am using Mobil only because of Mobil 1 oil. However, if you are planning staying with mineral based oil I would stay with Nissan oil filter as HuskyFan suggested......

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Amsoil SDF13 is a very high quality filter. Amsoil suggests 12,500 mi fliter changes.

·
Registered
485 Posts
OEM Nissan, and the local dealer has a buy 4 and get 1 free special of some sort these days...

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
OEM Nissan is a quality filter. Solid construction, metal anti drainback valve (the old timers call it a "check valve"), and metal backing plates. The filter element is also surprisingly large (the filter inside, not the metal canister).

In every oil filter review I have read, the standard FRAM filter does not compare with the Nissan (or other quality filters such as Wix, Purolator, etc..). With paper end caps, plastic anti drainback valves, and small filter elements indicate the FRAM is an example of you get what you pay for.

Now one might argue, how do those Toyotas go 300,000 miles on a Fram filters. My conclusion is that even with "cheaper" construction, the Fram is adequate for 3000 mile change intervals.

However, since the Nissan OEM filter is ~$5 I see no reason not to go with that.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Which oil filter is better

I to was a big fan of Fram, then after they were bought out I started to notice quality issues like poor gasket fitting, rubber gasket failing which caused leaks. I have always changed my oil myself as this still allows me to work on my cars. .

At my Nissan dealership they have a OEM and a Fram filter pulled apart and the OEM filter has 30% more filter element and the rubber gasket is broader in area. It is possible that Fram filters have started to address their quality issues but time will tell. In the meantime Nissan is very competative on there oil filter pricing and they always include the copper washer to change out everytime you change the oil.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Eric L
Where do you get OEM filters for $5?
My dealer wants $8.50 without the washer!

·
Registered
470 Posts
In the early 1970's I had a new Datsun 240Z and my dealer also had a display on the service bay wall showing a Fram and a Datsun OEM filter cut away. They told me not to use the Fram filters and also not to use Champion spark plugs because they were not the correct heat range and/or the thread length was a little different. Also the NGK pugs had a copper center at that time.

·
Registered
358 Posts
ekaxel, sounds like your dealer is taking liberties with the SUGGESTED retail price.
My dealer sells them for $5. Sometimes they run a buy-four-get-one-free special.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Ordered 6 from Pinnacle. They didn't even charge for shipping!
Thank you.
As I said in a previous post, I am taking the Amsoil filters out. Can't stand the noise. I will continue to use Amsioil 0w30 Series 2000 and change the filter every 5000.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I used to always use Fram and I believe they are a good oil filter but I read a study that Wix oil filters rated better and they are reasonably priced so I have used them ever since. I do sometimes think about switching back to Fram just because they make them here in my town. As far as being bought out they have changed parent companies 3 times in the last 10 years that I have lived here but most people that work at the factory say they make a quality product but then again what are they sopposed to say.:cool:

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
All True The buy out by Bendix was when Paul Hartz was still CEO and that was around 1978 so I am talking about 25 years ago, and true the workers are the same. The BRL got involved to work with Canadian Fram on making electric fans quieter (I had developed a way to photograph sound waves in Air so we could SEE the sound generators on the blade edges) The filter oil and air were made a various plants around the country and in Canada, I thought from what I saw in the plants I visited, that they were good filters.

I have a number of certificates for free oil changes from the dealer so I assume I will get the factory filters for a while, as least.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
GripperDon said:
I worked for Bendix, for many years back in the mid 80's, we owned FRAM, Spent lots of time in Canada at the Fram plants. We made a quality product then, I have no reason to believe they still don't. The research and testing was extensive and QC was Very Good. I don't know about others, but I always use Fram and don't get any discount and have always been very satisfied.

FRAM website is here. http://www.fram.com/
which FRAM do you use Grip?

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
I think TG6607

·
Registered
81 Posts
Grip: you're kidding me about FRAM filters . . . . they're crap. Do a search online about oil filter reviews. Fram consistently comes in as the WORST filter.

Dave

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
I think i will stick with factory filter for the murano...

GripperDON: I have a number of certificates for free oil changes from the dealer so I assume I will get the factory filters for a while, as least.
I got the same kind of coupons as well. I am usually picky on the type of oil use in the murano. Hence, i bring my own synthetic (Valvoline syncpower). But i do my oil change every 3750 miles on the dot. (Yeah, even with synthetic..it is only $22 anyway for the oil = 3/4 tank of gas for murano). Using the coupon, i got free filter and free labor from the dealer..

Factory filter, for every 3750 miles, is adequate.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
In addition to the oil filter comparisons above, you can google "oil filter comparison" and find several more reviews on various filters. In every review, Fram comes in at or near the bottom.

Oh, for the folks out there who use Jiffy Lube - Jiffy Lube uses Pennzoil filters, which are relabeled Frams! Yet another reason to do your own oil changes.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts