Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day (when it was hot) , and I was pushing the MO, I started to hear a "whine" that kicked in about 3500-4000 RPM
it went away once I parked the MO, and came back 2 hours later..

It almost sounded like a "turbo" whine.. it was strange.. mid to high pitched..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yea, I asked the dealer about it. They said its just the CVT belt moving at a high speed. I have to admit it sounded pretty cool though.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
I've heard this too...do I have a supercharger under the hood?

Nah, just CVT! :cool:

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Usually a high pitched whine that varies with engine speed is a sign of a failing alternator bearing. I do not believe the CVT noise at high speed excuse from the dealer.

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eric:

It's not a consistant whine.. it's a very distinct sound and only kiscks in at hight speed (and it's not exactly consistant at wht RPM (usually starts at 3000-4000 and drops back off.

I also hear it when I put it in neutral as well and in "drive" and gave her some gas)

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Perhaps its the variable valve timing then - back in the day when Honda's VTEC was very "cammy" the exhaust note would change noticeably once you hit 4500 rpm or so.

·
Registered
250 Posts
If it were the CVT "belt" wouldn't it do it all the time?

I have only noticed it when I was working my Mo hard. Like on a hot day in the moutains, or during brisk freeway driving. It makes the same sound as a supercharger to me.

I was concerned that I was having a unique problem, but after hearing about all yours that do it, I am more convinced that it is "taking care of itself" somehow during harsh driving conditions.

It seems like it might be "characteristic" to me now instead of a problem.

I know the CVT does some normal, good things that feel funny compared to our perception and what we are used to with geared transmissions.

My father is very disturbed by the sound of the CVT when I take him on trips with me. He says it is very hard for him to get used to; even though it is working normal; that is sounds like it is slipping and burning itself up...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Whine

I have the whine too but it definitely comes from the right side replacing the alternator did not fix it but I am sure it is belt noise or an idler bearing as it will ocurr when the car is parked if it is warm. this would rule out the CVT which is on the left side anyway.

My luck with the local dealers, I am scared to take it in as tey have always done more harm than good. last time when they replaced the Alternator they forgot to tighten the bolts when they were done. That was a fun adventure in the middle of my vacation .

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've heard the Whine too, but at much lower RPM's.....between 1,500 to 2,000.
Usually, it's when I've slowed or stopped and bring the speed back up (as little as 25 - 30 mph).
It's not a loud whine, but thanks to some high block walls along my subdivision, it can be heard.

As far as temperature and working the MO hard.....well, I am in Las Vegas and it's been about 105 degrees (or better) the last few weeks when I head home and my trip is uphill.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts