Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Murano. From day one it’s made a moderately loud whine, sounds like it’s coming out of the transmission. It’s mostly noticeable when sitting idle. Doesn’t do it all the time, but when it does it sounds awful! I’ve had it to two different dealers now and no one seems to have a clue what’s going on. It almost sounds like a hydraulic pump being starved of fluid. The first 1,000 miles it was really loud when it did it, then it got to where it almost never made the noise until about 8,000 miles. Now nearing 20,000 miles it’s getting loud again. Anyone else hear of this or have this issue? It’s driving me nuts and I really don’t trust it anymore.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Check the power-steering fluid ?! Mine (& a few others' here) was low from the start.
The design doesn't really allow to see the level from outside. My level didn't even reach the bottom of the stick.
It is the only thing that can make loud whine noises (high psi).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just checked the power steering fluid, it was low! Very low! I topped it off, will have to drive it some and see. Took about a half bottle of power steering fluid to get it up to the full mark on the dip stick.
Two Dealerships, both had it a week or more. One would think the dealership would check crap like this!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Sorry to hear ... two other things which could make noises (that I knew):
  • Loose air-hose ? (our 2007 had this popular problem ... Engine gasped for air & made weird/loud noises randomly. Check hoses to/from airbox ?
  • ABS pumping for oil ? (my 04Maxima did this when brake-fluid was low but still above min-mark)

·
Super Moderator
8,472 Posts
If the PS fluid was low, you may need to bleed the system to get air out. The shop manual has directions and is available online at Nicoclub.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is this something I can do or should I try convince the dealership to do it?

I’m pretty handy and have worked on cars since the start of time. ?

·
Registered
572 Posts
In my opinion, I would have the dealer fix the problem if its under warranty. You can suggest to them that you've done some research and you've found that a common problem with the whining could be the power steering pump isn't properly filled with fluid. Have them check. Also, why should you be doing the work? You bought a vehicle with a warranty, have Nissan spend the time and money fixing it. Ask for a loaner and tell them you will not accept the vehicle until it is fixed. I did this with my car when I had a pretty strong vibration at idle. They kept the car for 2 days, testing everything piece by piece until they found the problem. A faulty positive battery terminal. Yup, something that simple took them a long time to find. They said its a very uncommon issue on such a new car, so that's why it wasn't one of the first things they checked.

Meanwhile I drove around headache free in a new Nissan Rogue loaner which by the way is not a car I would ever recommend to anyone considering the competitions options out there.

·
Registered
332 Posts
In my opinion, I would have the dealer fix the problem if its under warranty. You can suggest to them that you've done some research and you've found that a common problem with the whining could be the power steering pump isn't properly filled with fluid. Have them check. Also, why should you be doing the work? You bought a vehicle with a warranty, have Nissan spend the time and money fixing it. Ask for a loaner and tell them you will not accept the vehicle until it is fixed. I did this with my car when I had a pretty strong vibration at idle. They kept the car for 2 days, testing everything piece by piece until they found the problem. A faulty positive battery terminal. Yup, something that simple took them a long time to find. They said its a very uncommon issue on such a new car, so that's why it wasn't one of the first things they checked.

Meanwhile I drove around headache free in a new Nissan Rogue loaner which by the way is not a car I would ever recommend to anyone considering the competitions options out there.
Off topic but can you elaborate on the idle vibration. I sometimes feel mine vibrates to much but it's on par with my 2010. When I complained about it on the 2010 they cleaned the throttle body which did nothing

·
Super Moderator
8,472 Posts
Is this something I can do or should I try convince the dealership to do it?

I’m pretty handy and have worked on cars since the start of time. ?
If you mean bleeding the PS circuit, yes you can. As I noted earlier, there are shop manuals at Nicoclub, which is easy to find.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Off topic but can you elaborate on the idle vibration. I sometimes feel mine vibrates to much but it's on par with my 2010. When I complained about it on the 2010 they cleaned the throttle body which did nothing
Not too go too far off topic here because its a thread about ops car whining noise, but essentially they were saying that I wasn't getting a proper voltage in the electrical system. They replaced the terminal and its much much better. Now, its not to say that I have no vibration. This car by far has been the roughest idler I've owned/driven, but it definately did help smooth things out enough where the passengers no longer notice. I still notice it in the steering wheel.

Anyway, if you want more info, PM me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any other sources for service manuals other than Nicoclub? That website is so loaded with ads it’s impossible to navigate!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
D
I have a 2018 Murano. From day one it’s made a moderately loud whine, sounds like it’s coming out of the transmission. It’s mostly noticeable when sitting idle. Doesn’t do it all the time, but when it does it sounds awful! I’ve had it to two different dealers now and no one seems to have a clue what’s going on. It almost sounds like a hydraulic pump being starved of fluid. The first 1,000 miles it was really loud when it did it, then it got to where it almost never made the noise until about 8,000 miles. Now nearing 20,000 miles it’s getting loud again. Anyone else hear of this or have this issue? It’s driving me nuts and I really don’t trust it anymore.
Something is still making noise on my car. But it feels and sounds like it’s unrelated to the power steering fluid being low (mentioned later in this post).

Last Friday when it started making the whining noise I pulled up on a curb and crawled underneath the car. Laying directly under the transmission, something is making an awful noise from the transmission. Should have gotten a video of it, but wasn’t thinking right at the time.

I’m at a loss of what to say anymore, this car is mocking me! When it’s at the dealership it’s quiet as a mouse!

Next time I’ll record it, hopefully I can get the dealership to listen to it.

What could be causing this? Doesn’t seem to matter if it’s in gear or in park, the noise does change a little in park vs drive but still very audible.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts