Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 06 SL with 87k on it.
In the morning when starting the car (garage kept) there's a loud whining noise that can be heard for the next 5 minutes or so (until the car warms up)
The noise can be heard while parked and while driving. After a while it does go away. The SES lights are not coming on.

Please help.

·
Super Moderator
7,720 Posts
I was just reading some George Booth cartoons; one of them had the same problem - the caption was the mechanic saying to the owner:

"We found the whining problem Mr. Posnets; your mother-in-law is in the back seat."

But seriously....it sounds like something which makes a noise when cold, but does not after it has heated up from use. Pop the hood, start the car and then carefully (avoiding moving parts) move around the motor, seeing if you can localize the sound.

A whining sound which goes away is likely to be a belt or some other parts which warms up. Could also be a bearing in a device such as an alternator or idler pulley. Not all of those are accessible to you while he engine is running, so keep your fingers out of moving parts.

If you have to take it to a shop, you'll have to leave it long enough for the componenets to cool off. You may elect to drive it for a while and see if the noise gets worse or disappears.

If you haven't had the belts changed in the last 50K miles, you would not be wasting money to have that done as preventive maintenance.

·
Registered
222 Posts
+ 1
It sounds like a belt problem.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
A little more diagnostic work is needed to figure out where the noise is coming from. If you can hear with the engine on but the vehicle not in motion, then it is likely not from a wheel bearing, transfer case, or CVT. At idle, I'd pin the whining noise on a worn alternator bearing or even a bad cooling fan bearing.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Agree with Pilgrim,

belt/pulley. Wouldn't be a fan bearing because fans don't come on until the car is warm-hot... this sound goes away when the car is warm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts