Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When travelling at speeds in excess of 100km/hr, has anyone experienced a whining sound comming from the engine bay during hard acceleration (rpms >3000). Engine revs >3000rpms at slower speeds the engine sound normal. This only happens at higher speed. To me it sounds like something in the drive belt loop. At this point I can't say it sounds like cvt...at least I hope not?
Any ideas?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know in my murano when i floor it, at 4-6k rpm the engine sounds like it has a supercharger whining. I asked a representative at a nissan dealership and he said it should be normal. This only occurs at full acceleration and at high rpms regardless of the speed.

Is yours similar to this?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats exactly what I'm hearing. Previously I had always had music playing during hard accelerations and never noticed the wirling sound. Now that it appears to be normal, I turn off the music then let her rip; sounds great now that I have some peace of mind. What year is your MO?

·
Registered
248 Posts
So was the whine directly proportional to your speed? I have recently developed a whine that sounds like a golf cart's electric engine and it is highly speed dependent. I hear it at 20mph as a low whine and as speed increases, the whine increases in audible frequency. Is this at all like your issue?

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
11 Posts
SliderJeff said:
So was the whine directly proportional to your speed? I have recently developed a whine that sounds like a golf cart's electric engine and it is highly speed dependent. I hear it at 20mph as a low whine and as speed increases, the whine increases in audible frequency. Is this at all like your issue?

Thanks,
Jeff

i think that low whine is the transmission, and should be normal. Its mostly audible with your windows down. The other whine we were talking about, occurs at full acceleration at higher rpms.

·
Registered
248 Posts
So did the noise just come out of nowhere for you guys, as well? I mean, it never used to make this sound, and certainly didn't when I test drove it before buying it in early January of this year. My wife and I were driving the other day and she actually remarked, "What's that sound?" I guess I can ask my local dealer to comment on it, but at only 11,250 miles, I don't think I am do for a transmission fluid change quite yet. Why does the transmission make this sound in the first place, even if it is "normal"?

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
248 Posts
Just an update...

Took my MO in for service yesterday. The CVT needs completely replaced. The tech said that the trans fluid appeared to be burned. It'll take a couple days to get the new CVT into the shop and then probably two days to install it. I'm terrified that they are going to neuter my poor MO like that other guy said they did to his, i.e. doesn't have the same get up and GO! :(

Time to read that "Failed CVT" thread now. I can't believe it pooped out at just over 10k miles.

Regs,
Jeff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts