Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Murano Platinum and ever since I’ve had it, there’s a weird noise in the engine compartment. I have no idea what it is. It only does it when I accelerate slowly. I get up to around 30-35 and hang out around that speed it’ll continue until I speed up. Wanted to check before I took it to the dealership.

·
Administrator
9,369 Posts
I have a 2017 Murano Platinum and ever since I’ve had it, there’s a weird noise in the engine compartment. I have no idea what it is. It only does it when I accelerate slowly. I get up to around 30-35 and hang out around that speed it’ll continue until I speed up. Wanted to check before I took it to the dealership.
Does it make the noise when it's cold, or only after it has reached operating temp? (Wondering about radiator fan)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
If you can record the sound it's making and upload the footage to Youtube and post the link, that would be verry helpful. Just to clarify, is the whirring happening as you accelerate to 30-35MPH? I wasn't quite clear on that point because you said you it continues until you speed up. If you do a very slow acceleration from 0-50MPH, is the noise happening/ If you accelerate more quickly from 0-50 is the noise still happening. Does the noise change if you rock the car side to side by shifting the steering left then right then left, making the front end plow a little?

Since new, my 2021 makes noise that sounds like a turbine engine winding down when I'm braking. During these really cold Winter days when temps were below 20, the noise is louder and actually "skips a beat" and then goes faster for a split second just as the car is about to come to a complete stop. Although my 2003 never made this noise, I consider normal for this 2021.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I do a very slow acceleration, the noise is happening. But when I accelerate more quickly from 0-50 it doesn’t happen. I couldn’t get a video that was good at all. It was too noisy outside and you can’t hear it clearly. Also, there isn’t a noise when it’s rocked side to side. The noise happens no matter the temp outside.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Noises can be tough to record. Have you tried holding your recording device closer to the gas pedal area or maybe closer to the windshield? I once had to secure my cellphone inside the engine compartment so I could drive around and record the sound. Another time I clamped the phone to the underside of the car and pointed it towards the transmission. If I can, I'll record the whirring/turbine sound my car makes to see if that's what you're hearing. But my "turbine" noise really only happens from 1-10MPH and is faint, but sounds louder when slowing and hitting around 10MPH. And it was more noticable over the past couple of days, when temps were in the single digits. I don't consider it unusual.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
How many miles?

I would scan for CVT error codes. Most scanners cannot read them, but the inexpensive Android app CVTZ50 can:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts