Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have had our (new off the lot) '04 SL for about 2 months now and I am becoming very annoyed with the air vents (especially the windshield vents). When setting the fan speed anywhere from 3/4 to full speed the vents whistle. While I would not have a problem "hearing" air coming out at high speed, this is like listening to a kid learning to whistle where it's not quite a good whistle, but close. As we live in ND and will be using the higher settings a lot on "AUTO" setting due to weather extremes (think defroster for 5 solid months each year and then again on "auto" to cool down vehicle in summer when it's 80+ degrees out and humid). My wife wants me to ask you experts if we are being too picky or if the "usual" MO doesn't make the whistling noises on higher settings. And no, we unfortunately did not test other MO's on the lot so we have nothing to compare it to. As this is our first new vehicle, we don't want to be "that couple" at the dealership that complains excessively, but we also want to make sure we are getting the full capabilities of the vehicle the way they were designed to be enjoyed.

The vehicle is:
'04 SL AWD
Touring Pkg.
everything except NAV./DVD basically

Thanks in advance for any help/replies.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
ewald88 said:
...When setting the fan speed anywhere from 3/4 to full speed the vents whistle...if we are being too picky or if the "usual" MO doesn't make the whistling noises on higher settings....we don't want to be "that couple" at the dealership that complains excessively....
There should not be a a whistle sound at any speed. You are not too picky at all so you should ask the dealer to check it out. It is possible that there a restriction in the system (cabin filter maybe?) that is causing this. And don't worry about complaining. Unfortunately you will need to do that in order to receive decent service at a Nissan dealership....:D

·
Registered
844 Posts
My vents do not whistle either. That is the only complaint that my wife has is that the Mo is very quiet, so quiet that she cannot always here the sirens of the police and firetrucks coming.

·
Registered
593 Posts
No whistles here either ... unless I'm doing the whistling. :12:

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Make sure the front side and rear side vent are either
A- Closed all the way (If that is what tyou wish)
OR
B- Open AT LEAST half way.

When they are "almost" closed, the Venturi effect occurrs (IMO) and the wind can really "whistle".
(Well, it doesn't sound like a whistle to me, but there is a "noise")

Homer

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info everyone, we will bring it up with the dealer next weekend when it goes in for it's first oil change/etc. at 3500 miles (can't believe we've already put that many on it!!!). I did check the vent "controls" and made sure they were fully open for the dash...but the most noise comes from up by the windshield where I don't believe there are any control mechanisms.

I'll try and let everyone know a) what the dealer says about the issue and b) what they do about it.

We went from a '99 Chevy Blazer to the MO because we wanted a better quality vehicle so I'm going to take a world of @#$! if we have too many issues with the Nissan vehicle/dealer. So I'll cross my fingers!

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
If the dealer hears the whistle but says its "normal," then insist to sit in a new Murano on the lot, crank up the fan and listen for the whistle. If it doesn't whistle, then you've caught the dealer red handed. If does whistle, well, that means you have very good hearing! :p

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I couldn't take it any more and did some tinkering on my own (always a shaky proposition at best for me!) and finally figured out that while the little wheel was over to the "full" air flow setting, the internal "fins" (for a lack of better term) were not in fact fully opening. So with the help of a slim screwdriver and some wiggling back and forth and some powdered graphite I got everything working freely. Happy to report that we are now happily on "hi" with blissful silence.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can say with no hesitation that we would not be going back to the Blazer ever. It was a lemon from day one, and was averaging $1,500 worth of work every 10 months or 10,000 miles....whichever came first. My wife had a very top end extended GMAC warranty and they lost money on her....but regardless, it was unreliable and when the last crop of issues popped up (this time all electronic and not covered by extended warranty) we went from the Chevy dealer to the Nissan lot 3 blks. down the road. Even with my brother and sister-in-law having a GMC Envoy and having no problems with the redisigned motor we refused to look at Chevy/GMC this time around. That's why the second car is another Buick:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts