Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently I've noticed a whistling sound that seems to be coming from the transmission. It kicks in at around 20 mph and the pitch increases and decreases with the rpm's. The performance doesn't seem to be any different. Just wondering if it's something I should be concerned about. Has anybody else experienced this?

·
4,664 Posts
Don't know it, but isn't that around the speed the torque converter locks up?

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Unless it is a very loud noticeable whine, I doubt the Einsteins at the dealership would be able to pin the problem down. Have you checked your CVT fluid levels yet?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No. I only have about 4,000 miles on it so far. Is that something that should be checked when an oil change is done? I took it in for that at about 3,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Sammer said:
No. I only have about 4,000 miles on it so far. Is that something that should be checked when an oil change is done? I took it in for that at about 3,000 miles.
There is not much they can check besides pulling any codes (if there are any) and checking the state of the transmission fluid. The owners manual tells you how to check the transmission fluid. I think you should at least do that, it could be something as simple as being low on fluid.

·
4,664 Posts
I suspect they will replace the whole transmission if they determine the noise is coming from it. Two reasons. Nissan will want to look at it, and it's probably cheaper to change the whole thing, then to pull it apart.

It's got me wondering... Something wrong with the clutch in the torque converter? Bad bearing that makes noise when the clutch locks up?

Let us know what they say... And remember, you do have a warranty..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts