Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is from an email subscription I get with http://powerelectronics.com/

Hella prototype headlamp uses white LEDs
April 14, 2005
Hella KGaA Hueck & Co. touted at the SAE World Congress a headlamp prototype that uses a white LED system for high beam, low beam, vehicle sidemarkers and daytime running lights (DRLs).

OSRAM compares LEDs to lights
April 14, 2005
At the SAE World Congress, scientists from automotive LED technology developer OSRAM compared the performance attributes of LEDs against those of conventional light sources, outlined the benefits of LED standardization in automotive lighting, and described some of the technical challenges facing LED forward lighting applications, including thermal management.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
When the costs to manufacturer these assemblies (I know individual LED's are not too expensive) comes down, I'm sure it will show up in cars more. I love the rear "quick on" LED's on some of the newer luxury cars, a definite safety advantage I would say.

·
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the real opportunity here, is to replace relatively expensive HIDs with something that can be charged a premium for, but does not cost as much and lasts longer.

For taillights, I'd like a matrix of LED's controllable by computer. Then you could turn them into a scrolling sign. Think of the possibilities!

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
jaak said:
I think the real opportunity here, is to replace relatively expensive HIDs with something that can be charged a premium for, but does not cost as much and lasts longer.

For taillights, I'd like a matrix of LED's controllable by computer. Then you could turn them into a scrolling sign. Think of the possibilities!
On ebay you can find programmable LED signs that can be placed on the back of cars. I don't think they will ever be stock equipment though, since its distracting to other drivers, and would probably cause more accidents.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
you know what would be cool in my opinion, if the tail lights int he back were totaly LED on the murano. and then, when you turn on the signal lights, only a certain amount of LED's would light up in the shape of a big arrow like the kind that you can stick on your side mirrors.

·
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too...

Eric, I agree, but they'd have a hard time fighting it, with the driver visible video displays, cell phones, curling irons, makeup, etc. I'd say corporate lawyers would kill it before it could hit the streets anyway.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Really?
I thought that the LEDs in the Audi, although "in" the headlights, were only used for DRLs.

Homer

·
My MO's faster than yours
419 Posts
The A8 L is the first car with LED headlights. Its low beams consist of five light-emitting diodes developed jointly with a California-based company. Audi says these lights draw considerably less current than halogen or xenon bulbs to deliver an equal amount of light. Less current draw means that the alternator, which generates a car's electricity, doesn't have to work as hard, and therefore robs less power from the engine. The A8 L 6.0 is the first car with daytime running lights that have virtually no impact on fuel economy, and full low-beam operation requires far less alternator draw than conventional lights.

link

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
So it's DRL AND low beams.
I don't know if I knew that and forgot it, or if I never knew it. :p

I would assume that the High Beams are not LEDS. Yet.

Homer

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
The challenges for LED lights are several:

1) Heat.. when you are pumping out that much light, even LEDs get Super hot.. the challenge is the LED covering which is not glass, and the extra high temp

2) Costs.. you would need a 300-400 lumen light, and LEDs are just not that bright yet..

3) Focusing.. LEDs are focused differently from Incandecantes (more $$)

4) Colors.. LEDs are hard to get consistant, so getting pure white ones are hard.. you tend to get "off colors" (blues, purples etc..)

Eventually yes. it will happen, but it's se

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Actually Leds are cheaper to lens

Being closer to a point source the reflector is simple and smaller. The audi uses 5 LED and will last longer, Allow almost total frequency selection and flexibility to provide for many headlight shapes that will allow a revolution in design of front ends. They will saturate the market within 5 years.

Grip.

·
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree Grip, and I think part of the problem here is taking consumers away from the traditional point source of illumination.

For headlights there's no reason I can see, why head lights couldn't be in many form factors with the total light output being contributed by a number of devices, instead of it all coming from one. This means the headlights could be a pair of strips or one continuous strip of numerous devices. Even when replacing taillamps and the earliest use, third brake lights, multiple devices have replaced one incandescent light.

No doubt heat management is an issue when trying to deal with the light output required for headlights, but conventional bulb design is not totally isolated from heat issues either, albeit not as complex.

On the plus side, LED's will greatly outlast HIDs or conventional incandesent systems and are much more energy efficient.

We're on the edge of some incredible breakthroughs in this technology. We've already made incredible strides with LED's, in brightness and by finally creating Blue and then White LED's, which for years, was the "Holy Grail" of LED's. It was only 7 years ago, that my employer HP, was showing off how they had produced a blue LED pointer out of the labs. Today, no one would notice, but then we thought it was really cool!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts