Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the edges of all 4 tires are chip wearing I mean when you run your hand on the edge one way then back it is bumpy. Now when driving and I go into a turn I hear the tires Why is this happening? I only have 6000 miles .The rotors are warped also

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
larry1960 said:
the edges of all 4 tires are chip wearing I mean when you run your hand on the edge one way then back it is bumpy. Now when driving and I go into a turn I hear the tires Why is this happening? I only have 6000 miles .The rotors are warped also
May possible reasons - poor wheel alignment, underinflated tires, aggressive cornering. Warped rotors are usually the result of being very aggressive on the brakes, although this is a common problem on Muranos.

·
4,601 Posts
Warped rotors also happen when someone overtightens the nuts on your wheels. Tell them to be careful with your nuts.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
larry1960 said:
I agree with Eric on this. The most common cause for this kind of tire wear is wheel alignment.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Is it both tire edges Larry and are these the original Goodyears?

Premature tire cupping or feathering on the edges usually includes braking as a cause. I wouldn't be surprised if the pulsing shuddering effect caused by the warped rotors is causing your problem.

·
4,601 Posts
Re: Re: Why are my tires chip waring

zebelkhan said:

I agree with Eric on this. The most common cause for this kind of tire wear is wheel alignment.
Yeah, I'd agree with that too.

Have you been rotating the tires? That will make a huge difference if you haven't. Especially if you like to corner quickly.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Larry1960, I have the same problem I think the correct term is "Feathering." I brought my Murano in at about 7500 miles and they claimed it indeed needed a wheel alignment. I had it done under warranty and had the tires rotated. Now I have the feathering on the tires that were rotated from the back to the front. I started a thread on here someplace regarding the same problem. It is not bad or terrible but if you run your hands over the edges you can definitely feel a step up along the edges. I imagine many people have this and don't yet realize it. It is not visible but if you run your hands over it, you will feel the ridges. Smooth one direction and ridges going the opposite way. I can tell you I do not have warped rotors. If they are warped, you will feel a pulse on the brake pedal during braking. Cornering, I think maybe a little aggressive now and then. I'm a little stumped right now. It is also my guess that some will read this thread and say "hey, I have the ridges and never knew it."
Bob1

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Yeah, I saw that on my front tires as well. But, most of my cars have exhibited that, it's because I am a curve junky.
:roadtrip:
Rotate, wear'em down....

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tire Feathering." Or Cupping

bob1 said:
Larry1960, I have the same problem I think the correct term is "Feathering." I brought my Murano in at about 7500 miles and they claimed it indeed needed a wheel alignment. I had it done under warranty and had the tires rotated. Now I have the feathering on the tires that were rotated from the back to the front. I started a thread on here someplace regarding the same problem. It is not bad or terrible but if you run your hands over the edges you can definitely feel a step up along the edges. I imagine many people have this and don't yet realize it. It is not visible but if you run your hands over it, you will feel the ridges. Smooth one direction and ridges going the opposite way. I can tell you I do not have warped rotors. If they are warped, you will feel a pulse on the brake pedal during braking. Cornering, I think maybe a little aggressive now and then. I'm a little stumped right now. It is also my guess that some will read this thread and say "hey, I have the ridges and never knew it."
Bob1

Well said, When I step on the brakes the steering wheel shimmy's a little. When I step hard on the brakes at high speed I hear a grinding sound like a warped rotor.I do have the Feathering on the tires all of them.WHY? The front are worst. They are the factory Good Years.

Thank you for the reply

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the same problem with the tires.

I do not have a brake problem.

I have ~9000 miles.

I first brought the problem in at 1500 miles. then 2700 then about 3700. The first time they told me the tires were underinflated and rotated them to the rear. The second time the told me the tires were underinflated and gave me 2 new tires. The third time they told me the tires were underinflated. Blah blah.

After the first time I kept a regular check on the tire pressure and it has remained to what they set (which after the last time is about 38PSI)

I think this was a major issue with the 350z and I think some of the dealers probably don't have the proper alignment equipment to correct the problem. Since some Muranos seem to be cronic with this problem and others don't have it I can only presume it is a dealer incompetence issue.

At this point I am extremely disappointed with my dealer and Nissan and when ever anyone asks I highly discourage them to have any interest in Nissan.

·
4,601 Posts
I've had excellent Nissan dealers and lousy ones. My guess is you have a lousy one and they aren't checking or doing the alignment on all four wheels correctly.

I blame Nissan for not controlling dealer quality better, but it's also tough in a competitive market to get them all walking in step.

Like a doctor, I'd be tempted to take your Murano to another Nissan dealer for a second opinion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts