Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Sicne all wheels are traveling at the same rate of speed, when you take a turn, the front wheel(s will want to turn faster. This isn't good for the AWD system. Sure the wheels will slip a bit but it's still not good.

Even worst in a true 4X system such as my 88 Ford Ranger. Okay going straight or in lose sand/gravel roads.

·
Registered
472 Posts
The AWD drive engages whenever there is wheel slippage regardless of speed. The AWD button locks in the AWD below 19 mph to be used when necessary to get moving in a difficult situation.

·
Registered
834 Posts
It's always 2-WD in my opinion. i.e. only 2 wheels can have traction on a AWD system without lockers. Read if say the passengers side wheels are on ice, they will spin. The drivers wheels are on dry pavement you will go nowhere. Even my Jeep GC (pre 96) AWD would get stuck this way.

Power will still go between the front and the back with the lock turned off but the system will adjust the amount.

With the lock on it will be 50/50.

There has been a lot of discussion about this on this forum as well as others that really get into the system.

This is just a brief re-cap from my understandings.

·
Registered
834 Posts
No it will not kick in..... it's already in.

The AWD is always working. power may be 99% front 1% rear.
Ice (at any speed) AWD may choose 50/50 or 60/40, etc but it's always changing and controlled by the AWD computer.

Locked its 50/50 period up to 19MPH. Heck if the car knew you would not turn, you can stay locked 50/50 up to 119MPH.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
Chris,
These threads should shed some more light on it if you are still interested:
AWD #1

AWD #2

AWD #3
:29:

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
forgetaboutit!

This is a great place where you can ask anything! I think you'll find that everyone here is extremely helpful. It's one of the better forums out there I think!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts