Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got new tires for the FX before Christmas and till 2 days ago did not have a chance to drive it (wife is the primary driver, I am the Murano guy). Once I drove it first thing I noticed was the off-center steering wheel! And it happed after the alignment! Next thing I see is the shaking steering wheel. Anyway, just got back from the Firestone Tire Shop. They were nice and took the car to the service bay after they drove it. Result – rebalanced front wheels – no improvement. One new tire – no problem with vibrations. I was handed the key and………..the steering wheel was still of-center! Back to the shop, apparently they fixed it in half an hour – not entirely! But I can live with it now.

Just a question – why every time someone does the alignment the steering wheel is always off-center? Same happened with the Murano, different shop though.

I do not mind paying premium for service, but no for a lousy one! It cost me half a day of my time not to mention their time. Quality cost money. Hope they will learn something.

Anyone else with similar experience?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
They are supposed to attach a clamp to the steering wheel to keep it at the straight ahead position while they are aligning the wheels. I received many substandard alignments from Firestone on the Maxima and finally found a Firestone about 45 minutes away which did the job right. Been going back to them ever since with my lifetime alignment (great deal at Firestone).

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
When I had the loose steering rack on the Mo, I took it in (25 miles away) and left it.
When I picked it up that evening, the steering rack was FIXED!
With the steering wheel about 30 degrees off center!
Literally. 30 degrees.

No problem.
All I had to do was drop it off the next day and pick it up the next evening........

If you guys remember, I damned near got rid of the damn thing right then and there.
Boy was I mad.
SIX trips to the dealer in the first SIX months.
Luckily, they fixed it right and the MO, apparently impressed by my resolve, straightened up and has never caused another problem. :D

I am NOT looking forward to replacing the tires.
Currently I have only about 27,000 miles on these.
And they will probably still be "legal" next year in the spring with maybe 32,000 miles.
But the summer brings the rainy season, and I do not like to drive tires with shallow thread in the rain so........
I am hoping for Michelins.......or Pirellis...
BTW - other cars are now coming with 18" wheels, so maybe...........

Homer

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I posted in this thread yesterday but the internet/server gremlins ate it....and I didn't want to double post accidentally.

Firestone has never given me service I raved about.
The straw that broke the camels back was when I had to show a mechanic there how to tighten the transmission pan bolts. Da idgit.

But I guess it is as others have said, you can find conscientious mechanics almost anywhere, but rarely.

Kris, what I had posted yesterday was that Butler tire and Kauffman tire is where friends of mine have told me to go for the best tire service. I know that Kauffman will do balancing on the car which is the best balance you will ever feel. They have a store in Buford.

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mgthe3

I took Murano to Butler Tire - excellent service!

This time I simply was passing by Firestone ans asked for the Bridgestone Tires for th eFX - they gave me unbetable deal! And it is close to my wife work so I went for it. Anyway, pitty is that it happens almost evrywhere now - it was Buttelr Tire who did the alignment for my Murano - steering wheel off center. Kauffman Tire - forgot to balance one of the wheels!

So I am used to crapy service. Not that I tolerate it, I just let them know politely what I think about it...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts