Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found some interesting information in the 2005 Service Manual concerning the MO's battery.

The standard battery is a 52 AH battery with 582 Cold Cranking Amps (CCA).

However, if you have the Intelligent Key, then your MO is equipped with a more powerful battery - 64 AH and 720 CCA. That's 25% more CCAs.

I don't have the Intelligent Key (wish I did) and cannot understand why Nissan sees fit to install a larger battery on those vehicles. I can't see why a more powerful battery is required.

Can someone shed some light on this?

-njjoe

·
Registered
77 Posts
I believe the choice of the battery on many cars are not based on CCA requirement but on the current drain when the engine is off. I don't have the Intelligent Key but I suppose it transmits radio wave all the time when the engine is off. This drains more current than a keyless entry system which only receives. I don't have any real numbers but as an example, if the total current consumption is 100mA, after a two-week vacation, the system would have used more than 30AH of battery power.

Also, the life span of a car battery is directly related to how deep it is discharged in each cycle. So even though a 52 AH battery can work, it may not last as long as a 64 AH battery.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts