Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - Currently I am running 255/50/R20 on the stock 20's (powder coated black). It's time to replace my tires, and as we all know some sizes have very different pricing. I've found some 265/50/R20 tires for a good price that I like alot.

My main concern is I don't want the rims to look overwhelmed by a much wider tire. If anyone is running a 265 on their stock 20's please post to help me decide!

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,288 Posts
265 is at the edge of the tire rubbing the frame during a hard turn. Also, 265 is only 3/4" wider then 255. I've noticed, the wider the tire, the less MPG.

Myself, I think that stock tires on a Murano makes it look like it's running on too skinny of a tire, from the back. The wider tire suits the body style better. I'd have liked for the stock stance to the tires to be about 1/2" wider on each side. It would have made the Murano look more planted to the ground while not lowering the car.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
265 is at the edge of the tire rubbing the frame during a hard turn. Also, 265 is only 3/4" wider then 255. I've noticed, the wider the tire, the less MPG.

Myself, I think that stock tires on a Murano makes it look like it's running on too skinny of a tire, from the back. The wider tire suits the body style better. I'd have liked for the stock stance to the tires to be about 1/2" wider on each side. It would have made the Murano look more planted to the ground while not lowering the car.

Have a good day.
@PaulDay - totally share your opinion on the stock wheel/tires size. Looks like pizza cutters. I also have wheel spacers, so my wheels are almost perfectly flush with the boy. Gives it a much better stance, look, and handles MUCH better. I get alot of compliments on this setup. That being said, I am a little worried about going wider and it looking silly.

I may be overthinking it, but hoping to get some reference pics to help my decision.

·
Super Moderator
1,288 Posts
The best I can recommend is to have someone drive your Murano and you follow behind as a passenger, so that you can observe how your Murano looks while under driving conditions.

Unfortunately, wheel spacers put stress on the wheel bearing long term. Off setting the centerline of tire, to the centerline of the wheel bearing, causes the wear to be concentrated at the sides of the bearings, instead of being centered on the bearings, wearing the bearing races down prematurely.

Every 5K miles or so, shut off the radio, roll down the windows and drive down a curvy road and listen for an increase in wheel noise while in a corner. A sign that a bearing is starting to wear.

Have a good day.

Reactions: Murana

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The best I can recommend is to have someone drive your Murano and you follow behind as a passenger, so that you can observe how your Murano looks while under driving conditions.

Unfortunately, wheel spacers put stress on the wheel bearing long term. Off setting the centerline of tire, to the centerline of the wheel bearing, causes the wear to be concentrated at the sides of the bearings, instead of being centered on the bearings, wearing the bearing races down prematurely.

Every 5K miles or so, shut off the radio, roll down the windows and drive down a curvy road and listen for an increase in wheel noise while in a corner. A sign that a bearing is starting to wear.

Have a good day.
I appreciate the info and heads up. I will continue to keep an eye and ear out for advanced wear or issues.

·
Registered
2010 Mo' LE, CVT Auto, FWD
70 Posts
I've rather wanted to get the nice heavy duty tires on my Mo, tired of picking up nails on these skinny tires and I think the thicker tires give more traction control and not slid as much as these skinny tires.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts