Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently bought a 2018 Platinum and just starting to get to really know the vehicle.
One aggravating thing hit me right off the bat...when driving 45mph or more it felt like I was constantly having to make small adjustments to input on the steering wheel to keep vehicle in a somewhat straight line....a little to the left, a little to the right, a little to the right again, etc.
This was taking place more so than any vehicle I've own before and made me think there was something mechanically wrong with the vehicle.
Decided to put new tires on, even though the tires it came with, Bridgestones with 18,000 miles on them still had tread life left. Heard these OEM tires hit their max at about 25,000-30,000 mile anyway, so told tire dealer (who test drove the car and said nothing was wrong with steering and that the constant right, left, right, right inputs were normal and the problem was I hadn't driven a front wheel drive vehicle in a long time) I wanted the widest I could fit on this vehicle.
Ended up with Michelin's Defender LTX @ 265/50R20.
Don't know if it is the brand or the wider tire but, the vehicle handles soooooo much better now and actually enjoy driving it.
Believe this is about the biggest tire you can mount on stock rims without contacting wheel well when turning.
The new tires are a little over an inch wider and about 1/2 shorter than OEM.
Not only do they handle better, they look a lot better, imo!馃憤

Attachments

Super Moderator
Getting ready for another set of the same sized Michelin's Defenders after 40K miles. Much better then the Bridgestone's that lasted less then 2500 miles before being changed.

Have a good day.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Like I said, don't know if its the brand (Michelin) or the wider tire but, the ride and steering input are a LOT better.
Should be getting more out of a 70,000 mile tire than 40,000...as long as they're maintained.

Super Moderator
Very well maintained, along with the rest of the car. I'm ultra pro active about maintenance. 2017.5 and it still looks like it just came off the show room floor, even the engine bay and underside.

I don't spare the gas or the brakes, plus I do a lot of winding country highway driving. When you have a 3 + hour drive thru those conditions about every other week, you tend to press on the gas, when you know you can get away with it. Tires tend to wear a little quicker under those conditions. The price I pay!

Have a good day.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wasn't trying to imply you didn't maintain your vehicle, was just a little surprised you didn't get more mileage out of these tires, since they're 70,000 mile tires (something I'll believe when I personally see it) but would be happy if I get 50,000 out of them!
Really like the looks and especially ride of these tires and feel like I'm driving a different vehicle since installing.

Forgot to mention, I also had a 4 wheel alignment done during the tire change. It was a little out but, not enough to cause the issue I was having with OEM tires

Super Moderator
No offence. If you drive normal, I'm sure that you'll get a good 50K + out of them. Road surface also affects tire wear. Normally driving on blacktop will cause more tire wear then driving on concrete surfaces.

The Murano definitely handles better, stops better and has less slippage when accelerating across traffic while turning with the wider tires. Stock tire size has to do with fuel savings, but really seems too small for the size and weigh of the Murano.

I've parked next to a stock Murano and from the back, with the wider tires, the car looks more planted to the ground.

Have a good day.

Reactions: Cryogenix1

Registered
@Canes1 have you encountered any issues with wheel scuffing when turning sharp corners? I'm also thinking of going wider with 265/50/R20s on a 2015 Platinum. Thanks in advance

Registered
My 2021 has the 20" Bridgestone Duellers HP Sport. I didn't notice until the second day of driving that the tires were, as usual, after a dealer has performed all necessary safety and prep checks before handing over the keys, over-inflated by ten pounds (45 PSI). Over the next 5-6 days, I experimented with different pressures and found the tires worked well at 37 PSI (recommended is 35 PSI). Even though the ride felt smooth before (even going over typically jolting bumps) the ride felt even smoother with the reduced pressure, for obvious reasons.

With my '03, I went away from Goodyear and tried Firestone Destination LE2s on the last set, and put on nearly 52,000 miles over 15 months, and they wore beutifully and still did not produce any road noise even towards the end of their 60,000 mile life expectancy (they passed the penny test during the State inspection in March). Once I find new wheels for my 2021, I'm planning to go with the updated Firestone Destination LE3s. I really liked the way they handled I used them in snow and they did fine.

Super Moderator
On my 07 I consistently ran about 38 PSI. It handled a bit better.

Registered
Tires make it look better, and wheels even moreso... I'm thinking I might go with some color when I change them... Not all wheels can be simulated on the MO. They didn't offer a 2021 model, so I had to use a 2019 that's not my color, and whose exterior is very different in a lot of ways. But at least it gives me an idea...

I think my three favorites are the Asanti A/F Series AF815, the Amani girata green, and Amani Verenzo Chrome and also the red. The Niche Forged DTM might also look great on with the gray paintjob. So many choices...

Attachments

Registered
Tires make it look better, and wheels even moreso... I'm thinking I might go with some color when I change them... Not all wheels can be simulated on the MO. They didn't offer a 2021 model, so I had to use a 2019 that's not my color, and whose exterior is very different in a lot of ways. But at least it gives me an idea...
That's not a '19, that is a third gen prior to the '19. The '19 and '21 have the same exterior, there have just been a few colors changes since '19...

Registered
That's not a '19, that is a third gen prior to the '19. The '19 and '21 have the same exterior, there have just been a few colors changes since '19...
The tire visualizer has it listed as 2019, and there's no car available for 20/21 models. I've never compared the 2019 to 2021, and was going based on what I was seeing on the screen and it didn't look like my car, plus I remember one Nissan salesman saying the Murano was completely redesigned for 2021.

Registered
The tire visualizer has it listed as 2019, and there's no car available for 20/21 models. I've never compared the 2019 to 2021, and was going based on what I was seeing on the screen and it didn't look like my car, plus I remember one Nissan salesman saying the Murano was completely redesigned for 2021.
:rolleyes:

Wow...

Registered
What's that response about? That I believed a salesman who said MO was redesigned for 2021, or that the 2019 that the tire visualizer was using didn't look like MO? If the latter, take a glance at the black trim pieces, they are different, and I felt the 2021 had more concaved side panels and longer streaks.

Super Moderator
Gentlemen, decorum at all times!

Registered
Out of the choices in your previous post, I prefer the Niche wheels...but that's me. Personally I'm a big fan of the XXR 526 in either gloss or chromium black

1 - 20 of 20 Posts