Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I turn off the Mo I hear at least one or two odd "thung" sounds, almost like a flexing a leaf spring or something. Normally one might hear these sort of sounds when a car is cooling off but it normally occurs within about 10-20 seconds or so. It's quite loud. Has anyone heard something similiar with thier Mo? Is it normal?

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Ctx-

The only weird noises I've experienced in the MO occurred about half hour after I finished off a bag of White Castle Cheeseburgers. It didn't sound like a leaf spring though.

Did your MO always make this noise or is it relatively new?

I recommend getting out of the MO when you shut it down and try to isolate the sound - front vs back; right-side vs left-side; under the hood; etc. That may help you identify the source.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Does the noise sound mechanical or robotic? The fuel injectors make a noise right after you turn off the car if you listen very carefully.

Also check to see if its the parking brake. When you set the parking brake and get out of the vehicle, you might rock the car just enough to hear noise from the rear parking brake (which in my Murano doesn't seem very strong).

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eric L. said:
Does the noise sound mechanical or robotic? The fuel injectors make a noise right after you turn off the car if you listen very carefully.

Also check to see if its the parking brake. When you set the parking brake and get out of the vehicle, you might rock the car just enough to hear noise from the rear parking brake (which in my Murano doesn't seem very strong).
It is a mechanical noise and sounds like it's coming from the center, underneath the vehicle. Happens after longer periods of driving (i.e. more than 15 minutes) but not sure if that's a factor. Seems like something is relaxing back to it's natural state after being stressed. I'll try to get my ear under there when I get home tomorrow to better identify a potential source.

Please note that njjoe after a bag of White Castle burgers has been eliminated as a source of the problem. :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Eric L. said:

Did a bit deeper digging.. sounds like issue is coming from the mid-body muffler (correct me if I id'd the part wrong..). Bueller? Anyone?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Ctx said:

Did a bit deeper digging.. sounds like issue is coming from the mid-body muffler (correct me if I id'd the part wrong..). Bueller? Anyone?
There are no moving parts in the exhaust system, so I'd think any noise from there is normal expansion/contraction noises, which every car has.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Eric L. said:

There are no moving parts in the exhaust system, so I'd think any noise from there is normal expansion/contraction noises, which every car has.
So what do you hear when you turn the car off? Anything from down below?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Ctx said:

So what do you hear when you turn the car off? Anything from down below?
Normal clicking clacking sounds from the exhaust system, which is cooling down. Just like every other car I've ever driven.

Something else I've noticed is that when the MO is parked facing a slight incline, the angle is just right such that some of the condensation water from the AC drain tube drips onto the exhaust pipe, making a hissing noise. I only noticed that on a few occasions though.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
my dad's exhaust system on his sierra always sounds like it's on the verge of exploding when it's cooling down. it's like a hit the deck the insert whoever here are comming sound

1 - 9 of 9 Posts