Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the stock Eagles on my Mo and one is damaged beyond use. The remaining three have 6/32 of tread left. I found a used Eagle with 10/32 tread on it. Will have the 10/32 tire mixed with th3 6/32 tire harm the vehicle? It is AWD.

Thanks,
George

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Bockosh said:
I have the stock Eagles on my Mo and one is damaged beyond use. The remaining three have 6/32 of tread left. I found a used Eagle with 10/32 tread on it. Will have the 10/32 tire mixed with th3 6/32 tire harm the vehicle? It is AWD.

Thanks,
George
George -

Not a problem. The difference in diameter of the two tires is less than one percent. An improperly inflated tire would affect the rolling diameter more than what you are proposing.

When I first read the title of your post I thought you were suggesting mixing tire sizes (i.e.: 235/65-18 & 245/65-18). That is a no-no, and could cause the AWD system to falsely engage the AWD system.

-njjoe

·
Registered
828 Posts
AWD? at mininum I would replace two tires keep the same diameter front to back.

Had a tire go on my old Jeep GC, replaced one tire, AWD system went. Now the Jeep is not a Nissan but to play it safe that's what I would do. Also suggested very stongly on our Volvo XC70 AWD.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I agree with njjoe, it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all. When you put it as less that 1% it all became clear! It is a pleasure to be in your company!

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
.:DSï said:
What if a go with a lower profile tire on front and keep the load rating?
Then you'll throw off your speedometer (it will read faster than you are actually going) and increase the apparent wheelgap in the wheelwells.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
.:DSï said:
What if a go with a lower profile tire on front and keep the load rating?
DSi-

Do you have FWD or AWD? Would the front tires have the same rolling diameter as the rears?

It should not be a problem (that I know of) with FWD. However, AWD does not like it if you mix tires with significantly different diameters. It will assume slippage is occurring and it will engage the AWD clutch. Damage to the drive train would be imminent because both axles would be locked together yet they would need to rotate at different speeds due to the different tire sizes.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
njjoe said:
...AWD does not like it if you mix tires with significantly different diameters....
That is something to think about for those who have upgraded their wheels and tires to a different diameter in case they have to use their spare tire. If you have AWD, you may want to make sure your spare's rolling diameter is same as the ones on the MO....

·
Registered
17 Posts
njjoe said:

DSi-

Do you have FWD or AWD? Would the front tires have the same rolling diameter as the rears?

It should not be a problem (that I know of) with FWD. However, AWD does not like it if you mix tires with significantly different diameters. It will assume slippage is occurring and it will engage the AWD clutch. Damage to the drive train would be imminent because both axles would be locked together yet they would need to rotate at different speeds due to the different tire sizes.

-njjoe
mine is FWD, Ive read that not-US spec uses lower profile tire

1 - 10 of 10 Posts