Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody else out there find themselves turning the volume up on the stereo when going more than 50MPH? I get noise that seems to be coming from the surn roof, but am not 100% sure that's the source. I've got cross rails and the wind shield. Does this combination make for wind noise that can't be eliminated?

·
Registered
844 Posts
gordieo said:
Does anybody else out there find themselves turning the volume up on the stereo when going more than 50MPH? I get noise that seems to be coming from the surn roof, but am not 100% sure that's the source. I've got cross rails and the wind shield. Does this combination make for wind noise that can't be eliminated?
Like your avaitor. The cross bars are probably the culpirt on the noise. I have them on when I have my ski box mounted on the roof rails. I found that closing the moon roof cover cuts the wind noise down to a minimum. Unless you need the cross rail for something, I would remove them till you need to carry something on the roof

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stoker,

You might be right about the cross bars. Although, I had 2 Explorers before that had all the stuff on top, and I don't recall having the same problem. Guess the only way to know for sure is to do as you suggested. I'll take the cross bars off and see what happens.:confused:

·
Registered
631 Posts
...must be the combination of sunroof AND crossbars. I (regretfully) did not get the sunroof on my MO, and my crossbars don't cause wind noise. Now when the Yakima ski holders are mounted on the crossbars....... whoooooooo boy that's some noisy stuff. :)

·
Registered
844 Posts
special-k said:
...must be the combination of sunroof AND crossbars. I (regretfully) did not get the sunroof on my MO, and my crossbars don't cause wind noise. Now when the Yakima ski holders are mounted on the crossbars....... whoooooooo boy that's some noisy stuff. :)
With my crossbars and ski box off I can re-open up the moonroof cover with no noise. Let the sunshine in:D :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I removed the cross rails yesterday. Made a substantial difference in the noise. Only problem is removing them is not the most convenient evolution I've participated in! Putting them back on when the need arises will be just as much fun, I'm sure. What do you do with the holes in the rails to prevent rust, etc.?

·
Registered
844 Posts
gordieo said:
I removed the cross rails yesterday. Made a substantial difference in the noise. Only problem is removing them is not the most convenient evolution I've participated in! Putting them back on when the need arises will be just as much fun, I'm sure. What do you do with the holes in the rails to prevent rust, etc.?
I have no holes in the roof rack as the Canadian models have clamp on cross bars (I still do not understand why there there is a difference between the USA crossbars and Canadian).

The only suggestion I can give you is to see if you can get plastic plugs to cover the holes. Before you cover he holes maybe put some black rust proof paint in the holes to help prevent rust. Failing that I can give you the phone number of my dealership and order the Canadian model cross bars. Thay are quite easy to install and take off andthey can also be adjusted back and forward on the rack.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stoker

Didn't know about the difference in the rails. I haven't found anything yet to fill those holes. Dealer was no help. Also wasn't aware that the Canadian MOs have running lights. Why isn't that an option here? Go figure!:confused:

·
Registered
844 Posts
gordieo said:
Stoker

Didn't know about the difference in the rails. I haven't found anything yet to fill those holes. Dealer was no help. Also wasn't aware that the Canadian MOs have running lights. Why isn't that an option here? Go figure!:confused:
gordieo
All Canadian vehicles have had daylight running lights mandated since the 1980's. It has been proven that it can reduce car accidents by up to 25%. I can only assume that your state laws either prevent it or it is not on the books.

In Canada the Federal gov't changed the law for the whole country so that it was the same every where. There should be a aftermarket kit to convert this and leave your foglights on all thew time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
gordieo said:
IWhat do you do with the holes in the rails to prevent rust, etc.?
I just put the bolts back in the holes and snugged them down. Sure, they show, but I won't lose them! If the appearance bothered me, I'd probably just black out the face of the bolt heads with a black permanent marker. I'm probably the only one who notices they're there. ;) My cross bars had some flat spacers between the ends of the cross bars and the side rails. Those, I wrapped in paper shop towels and put in one of the bins under the cargo floor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts