Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving about 60mph down the highway in Orlando ,Florida and there was a loud bang, like an explosion. I was stunned, scarred and unsure what transpired. I pulled to the shoulder and called ORLANDO PD, very calming dispatcher answered. When ORLANDO PD arrived he inspected my 2018 Platinum Murano for foul play. To our suprise the explosion of the window was more than likely from the temperature difference inside my car 75 degrees and outside temp was 35 degrees. There are no marks on the outside of my window where debris would of cause the shattering. I am appalled that this could actually happen. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Super Moderator
7,979 Posts
This simply happens now and then. There are reports of sunroofs shattering, and less often, other glass breaking. It looks like this was the driver's side rear window, right ? (You didn't say, but it looks that way) BTW, those windows are tempered, and it's unusual for them to break without falling apart...yours seems to have stayed together for the moment.

I once simply closed the door on a car and the window shattered, leaving nothing but fragments. It happens, and the only thing to do is have it replaced.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Tempered glass is ready to shatter at any moment, its just the tough-but-fragile nature of the material. Its sometimes a manufacturing defect that takes days to decades to show up.

You were on the highway so its a 99% chance that a pebble, piece of metal, etc. was thrown up and hit your window juuuuust right. Look around the edges, that's the softest area to shatter.

I shattered a side window on my BMW cutting the grass, it shot up one little pebble and that was the end.

·
Registered
160 Posts
This simply happens now and then. There are reports of sunroofs shattering, and less often, other glass breaking. It looks like this was the driver's side rear window, right ? (You didn't say, but it looks that way) BTW, those windows are tempered, and it's unusual for them to break without falling apart...yours seems to have stayed together for the moment.

I once simply closed the door on a car and the window shattered, leaving nothing but fragments. It happens, and the only thing to do is have it replaced.
That window looks tinted, so it'll stay together just fine. I've shattered untinted windows and they usually keep their form too unless you press hard on them. I cover one side in packing tape to make it easier to remove as mostly one piece.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts