Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've been doing quite a bit of research on various 4 door Nissan vehicles lately trying to establish a way to include the rear two windwos with our window up mod (raises windows by pressing the 'LOCK' button on the OEM keyless remote twice).

Does anyone have the service manual sections bl.pdf, rf.bdf, and gw.pdf?

Also, has anyone officially installed and got to work a KPtechnologies window module in a Murano? I know that a few people have bought them for the Murano but I've never heard a definate yes or no on the installation (We believe they will work with no problems, but are only capable, as of now, of raising the front two windows).

If we get the four door version working is anyone interested in testing the module out for us?

Thank you,

Kevin Pierson
Director of Engineering
www.KPtechnologies.com

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
KPierson said:
If we get the four door version working is anyone interested in testing the module out for us?
I think a couple of months ago via an e-mail conversation I indicated my willingness to test the device. I am still willing to do it if you guys can come up with a way to raise all four windows.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Re: Windows up with OEM remote research

IF we do go through with this we want to make it perfect clear that the rear two windows will NOT have anti pinch detection, so we wouldn't recomend this mod for anyone with kids, or pets, or any other possible things that may be injured/killed by a raising window.

zebelkhan said:

I think a couple of months ago via an e-mail conversation I indicated my willingness to test the device. I am still willing to do it if you guys can come up with a way to raise all four windows.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Windows up with OEM remote research

KPierson said:
IF we do go through with this we want to make it perfect clear that the rear two windows will NOT have anti pinch detection, so we wouldn't recomend this mod for anyone with kids, or pets, or any other possible things that may be injured/killed by a raising window.

That is my understanding. Also, windows-up function is mostly used when car is parked and no one is in it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dennis Fink said:
In the "I'd like to also have this category", how about opening and closing the sunroof, too?
In my G35 I have a sunroof open/close module. Its a custom 1 of 1 module, until recently. In the near future KPtechnologies will be selling Nissan sunroof open/close modules, but I'm not 100% sure they will work on the Murano. The module is programmable to either vent or open when the right command is sent (by pressing LOCK then UNLOCK). It will also close the sunroof when you hit the 'LOCK LOCK' command.

The module is pretty slick, it will turn on the ignition system, do what it has to do with the sunroof, then shut off the ignition AND shut down the RAP system. It also has the capability to bypass the RAP signal to the power window module so that the window up module will work at the same time as the sunroof close module.

·
Read Only
554 Posts
Regulatory issues with windows up

we want to make it perfect clear that the rear two windows will NOT have anti pinch detection
Kevin:

I applaud your looking to improve on Nissan's design. Personally, I would love to have a all four windows up design (along with a feature that closed the sunroof as well!). However, you should be aware that there may be some regulatory pitfalls to what your are planning. Specifically, while I am not aware of all the details of your design, you specify that your module will not have anti pinch detection for the rear windows. Anti-pinch is one of several options available to motor vehicle manufacturers when designing the closing apparatuses for power operated windows under Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 118 (see 49 C.F.R. sec. 571.118).

If your module alters the compliance status of the Murano in a way that does not conform with the requirements of the safety standards, you could be in violation of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act (see 49 U.S.C. 30122), which prohibits any "manufacturer, distributor, dealer, or motor vehicle repair business" from rendering inoperative any device or element of design installed in an automobile required for compliance with applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. The definition of "motor vehicle repair business" is broad enough in the statute to appear to cover your company.

Rest assured, I am NOT trying to put a damper on your research and development. But you should run your stuff past a regulatory attorney familiar with this stuff to make sure your okay. Good luck and if you succeed, I will certainly be checking your website for the new transmitter!

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
I am sure Kevin has already done that as it would make sense to have this reviewed by someone who is knowledgable in this area but I don't think there are any violations here unless there is a law that specifically prohibilts auto close if there are no anti-pinch detection. Otherwise, there is no other modification.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Regulatory issues with windows up

The rear windows of the the Murano have NO anti pinch protection from the factory, therefore we will not be altering, bypassing, disabling, etc. anything. The front windows, that have anti pinch technology will STILL have anti pinch. None of our products disable ANY saftey system on the vehicle.

Remote window modules have been around for a very long time and typically require 'hard wiring' the window motors. KPtechnologies modules, instead, communicate with the BCM to control window functions. In fact, our modules don't even tie in to the power window circuits! However, in order to get the rear windows to raise, it will be necesarry to 'hard wire' the motors. I'm just not sure yet how well they will respond to that! It also may be possible to build in an 'anti-pinch' system of our own (working off of current draw). I will try to keep you all updated.

Jim C said:

Kevin:

I applaud your looking to improve on Nissan's design. Personally, I would love to have a all four windows up design (along with a feature that closed the sunroof as well!). However, you should be aware that there may be some regulatory pitfalls to what your are planning. Specifically, while I am not aware of all the details of your design, you specify that your module will not have anti pinch detection for the rear windows. Anti-pinch is one of several options available to motor vehicle manufacturers when designing the closing apparatuses for power operated windows under Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 118 (see 49 C.F.R. sec. 571.118).

If your module alters the compliance status of the Murano in a way that does not conform with the requirements of the safety standards, you could be in violation of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act (see 49 U.S.C. 30122), which prohibits any "manufacturer, distributor, dealer, or motor vehicle repair business" from rendering inoperative any device or element of design installed in an automobile required for compliance with applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. The definition of "motor vehicle repair business" is broad enough in the statute to appear to cover your company.

Rest assured, I am NOT trying to put a damper on your research and development. But you should run your stuff past a regulatory attorney familiar with this stuff to make sure your okay. Good luck and if you succeed, I will certainly be checking your website for the new transmitter!

·
Read Only
554 Posts
Kevin - The rear windows don't have anti-pinch because they meet FMVSS 118 in other ways (i.e., continuous manual activation of the window switch in order to close). I'm not trying to be difficult, just letting you know that by adding a remote function, you should review the requirements of FMVSS 118 (or ask a regulatory attorney) to ensure that you're not getting yourself (or your company) into any trouble.

Zebelkhan - Kevin may or may not have checked this out. Given his reply, it doesn't sound like it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Windows up with OEM remote

This is a shot in the dark (I am not that up to speed when it comes to electrical stuff).

I know that the switches for the rear windows don't have 1-touch up or down option --- what if you replace the rear witches with an extra set of front ones, that have that option. Would this work? I am not sure about the fit, do you think they might? Again, I am just thinking out loud.

Also, is there a difference in the motors? Are front and rear motors the same or dirrerent? If they are the same, and the difference is in the switch, maybe it will work?

Please don't kill me if I am writing a complete nonsense :confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Windows up with OEM remote

The front window motors are actually different the the rear. Built in to the front windows regulators are encoder wheels. When the window is moving the encoder wheel sends pulses back to the power window module. If the pulses are spaced too far apart the power window module assumes there is something in the track. That is how the anti pinch system works (and why we will all have issues with our power windows over time!)

I'll have to do some research on the information above, but I'm sure with our own anti pinch system integrated there won't be any legal issues. And, if there 'might' be, our modules can always be custom modified by the end user to perform tasks not originally intended by the manufacturer!

DrMurano said:
This is a shot in the dark (I am not that up to speed when it comes to electrical stuff).

I know that the switches for the rear windows don't have 1-touch up or down option --- what if you replace the rear witches with an extra set of front ones, that have that option. Would this work? I am not sure about the fit, do you think they might? Again, I am just thinking out loud.

Also, is there a difference in the motors? Are front and rear motors the same or dirrerent? If they are the same, and the difference is in the switch, maybe it will work?

Please don't kill me if I am writing a complete nonsense :confused:

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Re: Re: Windows up with OEM remote

KPierson said:
our modules can always be custom modified by the end user to perform tasks not originally intended by the manufacturer
I like that! Go for it. I will be your first customer for the rear modules, with or without anti-pinch.:)

·
Registered
281 Posts
I want it, and to he|| with the government regs.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would like to have it too!

Automaticly closing all windows and sunrof should be a standard by this kind of a car.

My firend has had a BMW 3 (in europe) year 2000 I think coupe version, and by him it was already implemented.

I will be very interested in such a module, which can automatycly close all windows and sunrof ...

What I can not understand is, why the hell they implemented functionality to OPEN the windows (by holding unlock button) ... in my opinion, this is totaly unnecessary.

Greatings

Matik

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Gonzo said:
How about a module to have the ability to engage fog lights with parking lights only.... this way you can have 'em on with high beams.

I would be happy to assist with that baby.
Gonzo-

Why would you want that? In real foggy conditions you would actually want the fog lights on by themselves in order to cut through the fog. High-beams defeat the purpose of the fog lights.

-njjoe

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.