Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys need input!!! Driving around this weekend and picked up a crack due to a pebble, its a round crack that looks like what a bb pellet would make. Called my dealer questioned the quality of the windshield because I have had other cars that have been hit with pebbles and worse and the glass does not break. I got the standard, It happens with any car..

That said, of course Nissan is not covering the windshield. My insurance has already agreed to cover the windshield and get this, they are waiving the deductible due to our long history;) . The dealer has told me that I must pay for the windshield first and leave my car there for over a week! Is this standard operating procedure?
Also they are hiring an independent to fix my windshield so it is not being done by a nissan tech, should I worry?

What would you do?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Depends on the size of the crack. Sometimes you can get away with having a mobile repair guy just fill the crack with a sealant.

Paying for the windshield ahead of time doesn't sound all that odd, if they have to order it, which they likely do. Leaving it for a week seems unusual though.

·
Registered
255 Posts
The windshield should not take them more than a day, and that would be dropping it off in the morning, and picking it up in the afternoon. A mobile repair job can do these in an hour. I could see having to wait a week for the part to come in, but they should not need to keep your car while you wait. Some dealers will work with insurance companies, some will not.

Also on the quality of the windshields in the Murano, only time will tell. If a lot of people start getting cracks from minor incidents then we can say that, but just a few and you can't come to that conclusion. In my VW I had a small crack much like the one you mentioned that was at the base of the windshield and the rock that hit didn't seem that big, but the crack wasn't bad enough to keep it from getting an inspection sticker so I never had it fixed. But I had a huge 18" square sheet of ice hit the same windshield this past winter that obliterated the passenger side of the glass, but the windshield did not come into the cabin. For that reason I insisted on VW glass to replace the windshield. The pebble that hit your car could have been shaped so that when it hit it was applying a maximum force to a minimal area, causing the crack. Too many variables to say the glass is weak.

·
Registered
777 Posts
My insurance pays for "repair" jobs with no deductible, they even did it in my garage.
I tried this for the first time the past spring on my Accord.
I'll be interested to see how it holds up this winter with all the ice & snow we get?:confused:

As for glass replacements, I've watched Safelite Autoglass come to my office parking lot & replace my windshield in less than 1 hour!
Your dealer is full of BS.:3:

·
Registered
27 Posts
windshield

My family has owned an auto glass company for over 25 years, so this is my advice. If the round chip is in the drivers view, the windshield must be replaced. If it's not, try to have it filled in first. For $50 at least you keep your factory windshield which is usually built better than any aftermarket "Made in China" one. If you ask your insurance company to replace the windshield with an original one from the dealer ordered from Nissan, lets see if they waive the deductible/ ;)

Stone chips are completely unpredictable and its just your luck that day if one left its mark.

As for replacing it, you should be able to drop it off and pick it up within 4 hrs - period. Also you should not pay a penny, aside from your deductible if not waived. Otherwise I would question the integrity of the business. Another thing, I have never seen a dealership with a resident autoglass installer. In a month they may get 2 calls, so its cheaper for them to subcontract out to a company like ours.

My 2 cents. Cheers.

·
4,664 Posts
Tman had his done months back and it took a while to get one. Tman, ya listening?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts